Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Eve and Adam by Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant

Eve and Adam
By: Katherine Applegate and Michael Grant
Released: October 2, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Sixteen-year-old Evening Spiker lives an affluent life in San Francisco with her mother, EmmaRose, a successful geneticist and owner of Spiker Biotech. Sure, Evening misses her father who died mysteriously, but she’s never really questioned it. Much like how she’s never stopped to think how off it is that she’s never been sick. That is, until she’s struck by a car and is exposed to extensive injuries. Injuries that seem to be healing faster than physically possible.  While recuperating in Spiker Biotech’s lush facilities, she meets Solo Plissken, a very attractive, if off-putting boy her age who spent his life at Spiker Biotech. Like Evening, he’s never questioned anything... until now. Solo drops hints to Evening that something isn’t right, and Emma-Rose may be behind it. Evening puts this out of her mind and begins her summer internship project: To simulate the creation of the perfect boy. With the help of Solo, Evening uncovers secrets so big they could change the world completely." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved Eve and Adam and read this book in one sitting because I didn't want to put it down. When I first read the summary of this book I thought it sounded great. I never thought that I would enjoy it as much as I did though because there is so much more to the story than what I originally expected.

Eve is in a serious accident and her mother takes her to recover in the laboratory that she works in. To keep Eve busy, her mother gives her the project to create the perfect boy. I liked Eve and found her to be a realistic character. She is smart but she also isn't perfect herself. She also cares a great deal about her best friend Aislin who is the complete opposite of her.

Solo has spent most of his life growing up in the laboratory but he questions the way that it is run. I really liked Solo because he was also a realistic character and I enjoyed getting to know him better. I loved the alternating chapters between Eve and Solo because it helped the plot flow. Also I liked learning more about Eve and Solo separately and what their perspective was on certain events.

The plot was really captivating and picked up immediately in the first chapter. It could get predictable at times but that didn't stop me from enjoying every page of this story. Some moments were funny and romantic while other moments were more intense. I especially loved the second half of the book as everything began to come together. I really enjoy science fiction stories so I loved exploring the laboratory with the characters. I also loved the setting in San Francisco but that might just be because it's one of my favorite cities. Overall though I really enjoyed Eve and Adam and strongly recommend it because it's a fascinating story!

My Rating:


Check out a sample from the audiobook:
video

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad you liked this one! It was a lot more 'fun' that I expected, if that makes sense? I thought it would be more serious. I really love Solo and look forward to the sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked this one too! I definitely loved Solo and I'm really excited for book two now!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy science fiction too. I'm glad to hear that this book was fun and entertaining. Sometimes you just need an entertaining read to get lost in :)

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this was a really entertaining read. I have been reading a lot more science fiction lately and I love it!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading this! I LOVED the Animorphs series by K. A. Applegate when I was younger. I haven't read anything by her since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Katherine Applegate before but definitely plan on reading some more of her books now. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I have seem a lot of really great reviews for this book. I was a bit iffy about wanting to read it, but you and a few other blogs I have similar tastes with have really enjoyed this one. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)