Saturday, September 15, 2012

Book Spotlight: Portal by Imogen Rose


     Portal (Portal Chronicles #1)
By: Imogen Rose
"Come Find Me Two Years Ago... Six words that propel ice-hockey-playing tomboy, Arizona, into an alternate dimension. She suddenly finds herself  living the life of a glamorous cheerleader. She finds herself transported from her happy life with her dad to living with the mother she hates.  Everyone knows her as Arizona Darley, but she isn't. She is Arizona Stevens. As she struggles to find answers she is certain of two things -- that her mother is somehow responsible, and that she wants to go back home to her real life. That's until she meets Kellan... PORTAL is the first book of the Portal Chronicles. (Series of 5 books)"
 
 
 
Excerpt:
 
“So what’s up, Arizona? It seemed serious,” Maria said, as she took a big bite of her slice.
“I’m thinking of giving up cheerleading.”
Maria gaped and put down her pizza. Ali just stared at me.
Maria stuttered, “Cheerleading is our life. It’s what we do! You can’t give it up! Why would you even say such a thing?”
“I want to give something else a try, and cheerleading clashes with it.”
“What?” Ali practically yelled at me.
I hesitated, then murmured, “Ice hockey.”
They went silent and looked at each other with somber expressions. Then, they burst into laughter amidst snorts and guffaws. Ali’s face was streaming with tears.
“O-M-G, that’s the funniest thing ever! That’s why we love you; you’re hysterical, but B-A-D! You really had us going there for a minute.”
I took a deep breath and ran my fingers through my hair. “Wait here a second, I have something to show you.” I got up and left to get my hockey stick from the Jeep. The girls were still laughing when I came back in, but stopped short when they spied what I had in my hand.
Maria gave Ali a knowing smile. “Trying to impress Kellan? I thought something was up with you two in physics today. Are you suddenly into him?” she teased.
“No! I’m serious. I’m trying out for the varsity team on Thursday. This has nothing to do with Kellan or anyone else. It’s just something I have to do for myself. Please, try to understand. I’ll still hang with you guys and come to as many cheer meetings as I can.”
They both looked at me in disbelief. “You can’t even skate…” Ali murmured.
I shrugged; they could be right. “I just want to give it a try. Humor me, please?”
They looked at me like I had completely lost my mind. I guessed, in a way, I had.
“Will you come and watch me try out on Thursday?” I pleaded. This was going to be hard enough; I really needed them on my side. “I’ve even got a pink helmet–”
“They won’t let you, Arizona. It’s an all-boys team,” Maria pointed out. “Does Harry know?”
 
 
 
Imogen Rose is the author of the bestselling series, Portal Chronicles, which has attained cult status within indie literature and become af avorite among teens and adults alike. An immunologist by profession, Dr. Rose published her first work of fiction in 2010. She now writes full time and is currently working on her second teen series, Bonfire Chronicles. Imogen wasborn in Sweden and has lived in several places, counting London among her favorites. She moved to New Jersey in 2001. A self-confessed Hermès addict, Imogen freely admits to being obsessed with Kurt Cobain. She enjoys shopping,traveling, watching movies, and hanging out with her family, friends, and Chihuahua.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great series. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)