Thursday, September 6, 2012

After Hello by Lisa Mangum

After Hello
By: Lisa Mangum
Released: September 4, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"What if the first day of your relationship was the only day you had? Seventeen-year-old Sara is a seeker. She’s always on the lookout for the perfect moment to capture with her ever-present, point-and-shoot camera, especially on her first trip to New York City.  Sam is a finder. He has a knack for finding what other people can’t—a first-edition book or the last two tickets to a sold-out Broadway show. In New York, there is always something interesting to find. When Sam and Sara’s paths cross, neither one of them is prepared for what they will find out about each other—and about themselves when they form an unlikely partnership in search of a seemingly elusive work of art. They have one day to find the impossible. Fate brought their talents together, but what happens when time runs out? Will love be able to overcome fate? This new novel from award-winning author Lisa Mangum explores what happens after hello." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed After Hello and meeting these great characters. I first expected that this book would be a sweet story but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there is so much more to Sara and Sam's story.

Sara and Sam meet one day in New York City. Sara is visiting the city for only one day while her dad is on a business trip. Sam lives in the city and finds things for other people. I especially loved learning about how he trades and the sugar packets. I admit at first I was kind of freaked out by the idea of Sara hanging out with a complete stranger she met on the streets on New York for a whole day but it didn't take long for their relationship to be completely natural. Both Sara and Sam are strongly developed and I loved how their stories unraveled. They both have complicated pasts but learn so much from each other after spending the day together.

The plot was fun but also serious at times. I found that I couldn't put this book down and ended up finishing it in one day. Whenever I did put it down I just couldn't stop thinking about Sara and Sam's story. It was predictable but still enjoyable for me.

I liked that they ended up on an adventure through the city so it was fun going on that along with them. I also loved that the chapters alternated between Sara and Sam because it provided contrasting perspectives on what they were experiencing. I'm a big fan of books set in New York City since it's one of my favorite places so I was excited when Sara and Sam visited some of my favorite spots on their adventure through the city.

Another aspect of this book I really liked was the dialogue because it was quick. Sam is pretty mature for his age but that is understandable as well as realistic after learning his complete story. Overall I really enjoyed this story and I'm sure I won't be forgetting Sam and Sara's story anytime soon. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves contemporary books.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. This sounds cute, I'm interested in books like this where all the events take place in one day, but at the same time how can so much happen in such a short period of time... I love that you couldn't stop thinking about the story and had to keep going, those are my favourite type of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cute! I'm always concerned about books that take place over only one day too but it definitely worked well in this one.

      Delete
  2. This seems interesting.add to wishlist. Thanks for sharing about this book

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)