Thursday, August 30, 2012

Undead by Kirsty McKay

Undead
By: Kirsty McKay
Released: September 1, 2012
Source: ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Out of sight, out of their minds: It's a school-trip splatter fest and completely not cool when the other kids in her class go all braindead on new girl Bobby. The day of the ski trip, when the bus comes to a stop at a roadside restaurant, everyone gets off and heads in for lunch. Everyone, that is, except Bobby, the new girl, who stays behind with rebel-without-a-clue Smitty. Then hours pass. Snow piles up. Sun goes down. Bobby and Smitty start to flirt. Start to stress. Till finally they see the other kids stumbling back.  But they've changed. And not in a good way. Straight up, they're zombies. So the wheels on the bus better go round and round freakin' fast, because that's the only thing keeping Bobby and Smitty from becoming their classmates' next meal. It's kill or be killed in these hunger games, heads are gonna roll, and homework is most definitely gonna be late." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Undead and didn't want this book to end. It was creepy, gory, and exciting. Which are all the things I like to find in a zombie story. I love zombie books so I was really excited for this book when I first heard about it. 

Bobby is on a school trip when at a rest stop her fellow class mates turn into zombies. She is the new girl and there isn't much know about her past in the beginning. I admit I had a really hard time connecting to any of these characters for a good portion of the book. It wasn't until the last half of the book when I began to really cheer on Bobby. It took a while for her character to develop. Bobby and Smitty were really interesting and I liked them enough to keep reading. However it just took me a good amount of time to actually really start to care about them.  

The plot was exciting and I loved that it began immediately in the first chapter. I liked that the plot was paced fast too because it helped hold my interest. I didn't necessarily feel like the plot itself was rushed but the characters could have used more time to develop.

This was definitely a creepy story and there were several twists that I didn't see coming. There is especially something scary about being trapped on a bus during a snow storm while zombies are outside. I liked that it was explained how the zombies turned because that is always something I want to know when I read a zombie book. I loved the last few chapters of this book the most though. Those chapters definitely had me on the edge of my seat and I can't wait to read book two. I'm really looking forward to where McKay will take the story next. Overall I really liked Undead and recommend it to anyone looking for an exciting and quick read.  


My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Oooooh, zombies!!! I actually hadn't heard of this one before but it absolutely sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll be looking out for it -- yay for the release being soon! ;)

    Love the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for zombie books too! Also yay thanks Steph! :)

      Delete
  2. I wanted to really like this one, but it fell flat for me. I still enjoyed certain things about it, but it wasn't as great as I expected it to be. I have see a lot of really great reviews and then a few other not so great ones. I'm happy that you really liked it! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! That's too bad that this one fell short for you. The ending was definitely what saved it for me.

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of this book before but it sounds really interesting. I love zombie books, they are always so much fun and I love the creepiness factor found in them. I'm glad that it picks up with the character story later on in the book. Great review, I'll have to keep my eyes open for this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)