Monday, August 20, 2012

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

The Way We Fall
By: Megan Crewe
Released: January 24, 2012
Source: Borrowed from Monica @ Cover Analysis
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"It starts with an itch you just can’t shake. Then comes a fever and a tickle in your throat. A few days later, you’ll be blabbing your secrets and chatting with strangers like they’re old friends. Three more, and the paranoid hallucinations kick in. And then you’re dead. When a deadly virus begins to sweep through sixteen-year-old Kaelyn’s community, the government quarantines her island—no one can leave, and no one can come back. Those still healthy must fight for dwindling supplies, or lose all chance of survival. As everything familiar comes crashing down, Kaelyn joins forces with a former rival and discovers a new love in the midst of heartbreak. When the virus starts to rob her of friends and family, she clings to the belief that there must be a way to save the people she holds dearest. Because how will she go on if there isn’t?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

The first word that comes to mind when I think about The Way We Fall is terrifying. This book completely freaked me out because it was so realistic. A virus begins to kill Kaelyn's community and eventually the island is quarantined. 

Kaelyn wanted this year back on the island to be a fresh start for her. She was going to make some changes but then the virus hits. Kaelyn does change over the course of the book but just not in the way she had originally wanted. I like how her character is developed more and more as the story progresses. When the virus begins, her entire life is dramatically changing. She is forced to stay on the island and she must take the necessary precautions to prevent catching the disease.

There are quite a few interesting characters that are introduced throughout the story such as Leo, Gav, and Tessa. My favorites were definitely Gav and Tessa though because I especially liked learning more about them.

The plot and the writing style took some time for me to get used to in the beginning. I thought the plot began a bit slow and it took a couple of chapters for me to become completely immersed in the story. Once I did though, I couldn't stop reading. This is the type of book that will keep you awake at night. The virus really freaked me out and I became so invested in the characters.

The writing also took some time to get used to because each chapter is written as a letter. I admit at first I really wasn't crazy about it. However as I kept reading, I liked the style more and more. I now can't even imagine the book being written any other way. I will definitely be anxiously anticipating the sequel because I can't wait to see where this story will go next. I highly recommend The Way We Fall, it is an intense story.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book before but it sounds really scary. I love books about viruses and quarantine. I guess I find them scarier because they're more realistic than paranormal horror stories. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it being written in letter form though. I usually skip books that are written that way because I really don't like reading them. I usually just don't connect with the characters as much, but knowing you liked it despite that makes me think I might still enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely find stories like this a lot more realistic too. Also I tend to skip books written in letter form too but this book really suprised me and I think I will be more open now. :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize the writing was like that in this one. I have a copy sitting on my bookshelf that I really need to read. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when books are terrifying because they're so realistic. It makes for such a memorable reading experience. I'm glad you liked this book, Traci! It sounds awesome. I think I'll have to check it out. :) Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia! I hope you enjoy it too this book totally freaked me out :)

      Delete
  4. It started out slow for me too, but then like you I got REALLY into the characters. I can't believe that ending! So excited for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)