Friday, August 31, 2012

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

The Lost Girl
By: Sangu Mandanna
Released: August 28, 2012
Source: Borrowed ARC from Amy: Book Loving Mom
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Eva’s life is not her own. She is a creation, an abomination—an echo. Made by the Weavers as a copy of someone else, she is expected to replace a girl named Amarra, her “other”, if she ever died. Eva studies what Amarra does, what she eats, what it’s like to kiss her boyfriend, Ray. So when Amarra is killed in a car crash, Eva should be ready. But fifteen years of studying never prepared her for this. Now she must abandon everything she’s ever known—the guardians who raised her, the boy she’s forbidden to love—to move to India and convince the world that Amarra is still alive. What Eva finds is a grief-stricken family; parents unsure how to handle this echo they thought they wanted; and Ray, who knew every detail, every contour of Amarra. And when Eva is unexpectedly dealt a fatal blow that will change her existence forever, she is forced to choose: Stay and live out her years as a copy or leave and risk it all for the freedom to be an original. To be Eva. From debut novelist Sangu Mandanna comes the dazzling story of a girl who was always told what she had to be—until she found the strength to decide for herself." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed The Lost Girl and I found it hard to put this book down. The concept of the echos created by the Weavers is so interesting and different from anything else I have read before.

Eva is an echo created by the Weavers and she is a replacement for Amarra. If Amarra dies, Eva is supposed to take her place. Eva has grown up learning everything about Amarra and copying everything that she does. However she wants her own life and not be forced to live out someone elses. I found Eva to be an interesting and complex character. I immediately liked her after just the first few pages. I felt bad for her because she is living her life for another person and their family. She isn't given much of an opportunity to discover who she wants to be but she still manages to become her own person. She isn't weak and that's what I really liked about her. There were also several great secondary characters that I really enjoyed getting to know such as Sean, Erik, Mina Ma, Alisa, Ray, and Sasha.

The plot was paced really well and I had originally wanted to take my time reading this book but I couldn't stop turning the pages. Mandanna takes her time telling the story and letting the characters develop strongly but I never found myself getting bored or losing interest. I loved that the whole concept of the Weavers and the Echo is clearly explained in the beginning. Not everything is explained right away but there was enough so I didn't feel confused. 

I honestly didn't expect several of the twists that occurred throughout the book. Mandanna makes an excellent debut and her writing is beautiful. I loved how Frankenstein played a part in this story too because it's one of my favorite books. Overall I really liked The Lost Girl and highly recommend it because you won't be able to tear yourself away from this fascinating story.

My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. oh, girl, you make me want to read The Lost Girl right now. What a lovely review. I'm so glad that while it takes its time, you never got bored. I hate being bored while reading.

    also, a sidenote: I love your new layout. so cute and simple.

    ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I hope you love it when you read it! Also yay thanks I'm glad you like the new layout =)

      Delete
  2. I love the kind of books you don't want to put down, and with twists and turns you don't see! I am so excited to read this one! Great review. :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was very wrapped up in the story too. Though not fast paced, it was still a page turner. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Happy you liked it too and thanks again for letting me borrow it! :)

      Delete
  4. Great review. I loved this book. Glad you enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved this book! I loved the different concept and really enjoyed Eva's character. I really enjoyed that things were slowly explained but that the author didn't leave you confused by everything. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)