Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

The Forsaken
By: Lisa M. Stasse
Released: July 10, 2012
Source: ARC from Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up. The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved The Forsaken and finished this book in one sitting. I was instantly captivated by this story and just couldn't put it down. The world that Stasse builds is completely fascinating and disturbing.

Alenna is an orphan after her parents are taken away by the government while she was younger. After that she has done her best to blend in and follow the rules. That all changes though she takes the mandatory test and is determined to be a risk to the society as well as capable of violence. Alenna is sent to The Wheel where all the other teenagers who fail the test are sent. Alenna is a character that I immediately liked because she is believable. She isn't instantly a fearless and strong protagonist but once on the island she is open to learning how to survive. I really enjoyed how her character developed and changed over the course of this story.

The other teenagers that Alenna meets on the island were so interesting and it was so difficult to decide who can be trusted. The island is split into two groups of survivors and they are constantly fighting against each other. One of my favorite characters was definitely Gadya even though she could get a bit frustrating at times. She tries to help teach Alenna about the island and some basic survival tips. She is fierce though and an intense fighter. Then there is also Liam who has been on the island for quite some time but Alenna feels a connection to him. If there was anything for me to pick out about this book it would be that I liked Liam but I felt like I didn't get to know him well enough. Also I found the relationship that develops between him and Alenna to be rushed. However the relationship isn't what the main focus of the story is so it wasn't all that much of a problem for me.

My favorite part of The Forsaken is the world building. I loved the setting and it was really easy from the beginning to visualize it all. I liked that it began a few years earlier while Alenna was a young child and then jumped to Alenna as a teenager. I also loved that it's all clearly presented early on but it's not overwhelming. The setting is very realistic which only made it that much more chilling.

The plot was paced well and I thought there was quite a lot of action which only made me want to read this book even faster to find out what would happen next. There were also several twists that I never saw coming. While reading The Forsaken I found that it reminded me of a couple of my other favorite books but at the same time it completely stood on it's own. I will definitely be highly anticipating the sequel to this book. Overall I loved The Forsaken, it was a thrilling story that I strongly recommend.

My Rating:

15 comments:

  1. I hav this book and I'm really excited to read it. I'm glad you brought out the world building in your review because that's usually a pet peeve of mine in dystopians. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thumbing though Barnes and Noble and their 40% books and saw The Forsaken and wondered if I should add it to my cart. Then your review popped up and it was like a sign! lol Great review, I am looking forward to my copy arriving now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this book floating around lately, and a lot of good things have been said about it. Plus, it sounds so good! I'm going to have to get my hands on it! It sounds unique and interesting.

    Great review!!!!

    Magen Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a great review! I've been reading mixed reviews on The Forsaken so I'm glad to hear you loved it so much, this is definitely on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love survival stories! Will have to give The Forsaken a look-and if the world-building is as good as you say it is, I can't wait to flip through its pages! Awesometastic review!

    A Splatter of Ink

    (Hey. Hey you! Do you like poetry? Do you like poetry contests? Do you like poetry where you can win some awesometastic books? A Splatter of Ink is hosting their first poetry contest! Click here for more information!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds really cool and interesting. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the setting and the twists as well, great new author.
    Thanks for review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! I'm happy you liked this one too!

      Delete
  8. I have an ARC of this one that I just haven't had time to get to. I definitely need to read this ASAP! I loveeeeeee awesome world-building! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)