Friday, August 24, 2012

Team Human by Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan

Team Human
By: Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan
Released: July 3, 2012
Source: ARC from Anna @ Literary Exploration
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Just because Mel lives in New Whitby, a city founded by vampires, doesn't mean she knows any of the blood-drinking undead personally. They stay in their part of town; she says in hers. Until the day a vampire shows up at her high school. Worse yet, her best friend, Cathy, seems to be falling in love with him. It's up to Mel to save Cathy from a mistake she might regret for all eternity On top of trying to help Cathy (whether she wants it or not), Mel is investigating a mysterious disappearance for another friend and discovering the attractions of a certain vampire wannabe. Combine all this with a cranky vampire cop, a number of unlikely romantic entanglements, and the occasional zombie, and soon Mel is hip-deep in an adventure that is equal parts hilarious and touching. Acclaimed authors Justine Larbalestier and Sarah Rees Brennan team up to create a witty and poignant story of cool vampires, warm friendships, and the changes that test the bonds of love." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I have been looking forward to Team Human for months because this book sounds hilarious and it was exactly what I expected. I admit I love vampire books and read a lot of them but I always enjoy a good parody. It was refreshing to read a story with vampires and not have the protagonist madly in love with one.

Mel isn't crazy about vampires and is less than thrilled when one starts going to school with her. She hates it even more when her best friend Cathy starts dating the vampire Francis. Mel cares a great deal about her friends and at times maybe a bit too much. She will do anything to keep them safe even if that means trying to keep Cathy away from Francis. I found Mel to be hilarious even if she could be obnoxious at times. I didn't care much for her friend Cathy and honestly at times I wanted to take her by the shoulders and shake some common sense into her with the help of Mel of course. I didn't care much for Francis either. He has been a vampire for decades but he is beginning high school again and hiding a secret. My favorite character in this book is definitely Kit. Kit was hilarious and I wish he was in this story even more. I loved learning about his interesting upbringing too.

The plot started off a bit slow but by the middle of this book it picked up a lot more. It was still a quick read for me though. I liked that I could read a few chapters and go read something else but easily get right back into this book when I picked it up again. The setting was interesting and fun because vampires and humans are coexisting. However they live in separate neighborhoods and during the day vampires walk around in special suits to protect them from the sun. I also loved that besides the vampires there were some zombies in the book too. 

I really enjoyed the mystery that was also a part of this story. It was fun trying to solve it. I really liked the writing too and thought it flowed really well. Usually when I read a book written by more than one author I can tell which author wrote which part, but I didn't even pick up on that while reading. Overall I really enjoyed Team Human and parts of this book definitely made me laugh out loud. I recommend it to anyone looking for a hilarious and fun book.


My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. I just recently read this book and enjoyed it, too! Okay, so I wasn't the only one that thought the beginning was a bit slow. And I loved Kit, too! He was like a ray of sunshine of every page! He was awesome, even if he was a vampire wannabe. ;D
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is on my wishlist . it sounds ha ha hilarious .gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this! It sounds fun!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Team Human seems more like a fun parody, instead of a read that will blow your mind away or leave you excited for more. I am not really sure on whether Team Human is one that I would really enjoy reading if it doesn't take the plot entirely seriously.

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely doesn't take itself seriously but I found it to be still enjoyable. Totally understand that it isn't the kind of book that is for everyone. I'm a big comedy fan so I think that also made me like this book so much more.

      Delete
  5. I am not a big fan of parodies but this book has been on my radar for a while!
    great review, Mel sounds like an overbearing friend at time but I guess her heart is in the right place?

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrifically funny, moving, and enlightening YA novel. A must read for vampire lover and hater alike.

    Penelope
    View Website Western Wear

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)