Thursday, August 9, 2012

Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen

Scarlet
By: A.C. Gaughen
Released: February 14, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire. Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in. It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved Scarlet and couldn't read this book fast enough! I already loved the tale of Robin Hood so I was really excited to read this twist on the story. While reading this book I couldn't help but be reminded of this picture book about Robin Hood that I would read over and over again as a kid. It has been years since I have read or seen anything about the tale of Robin Hood and I couldn't have picked up a better story to reintroduce me to one of my favorite tales and character all over again but with a twist.

My favorite aspect of this book was definitely the characters, especially Scarlet. Scarlet is a part of Robin Hood's band of thieves and poses as a boy. Scarlet is tough and is more than capable of taking care of herself. She can easily hold her own while alongside the boys. She can be a bit stubborn at times but she doesn't like to be treated like she will break just because she is a girl. Scarlet has kept her past a secret though but it is beginning to catch up to her. I loved learning about Scarlet's past because it was still not what I expected.  

Then there is Robin Hood, the leader of the band of thieves. Robin is a character who I'm already familiar with. However in this book, he is someone who at times I really wanted to hate but then I just couldn't. There is also John and Much who are a part of the band as well. I especially loved Much. The band has a complicated relationship at times but they always have each others backs. I love that these characters are all far from perfect though. They make mistakes and they are thieves, even if they are using the money for a good reason. However, it's difficult to not want to cheer them on.

The plot is exciting and picks up early in the beginning. It was easy to lose time while reading this book. I also love the setting and it was easy to vividly picture the forests and towns. The last couple of chapters were definitely my favorite and I never saw the twists coming. I loved Gaughen's writing and I think she makes an excellent debut. I will definitely be reading what she writes next. Overall I highly recommend Scarlet, it will take you on an exciting adventure that you don't want to miss out on!  

My Rating:

14 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around since last year and only felt lukewarm about it. Now I'm thinking maybe I should reconsider.
    Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review :)
    i have to agree w/ akoss
    same here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hope you enjoy it if you do pick it up :)

      Delete
  3. I loved Scarlet so much! It has definitely become one of my favorite books of all time! I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I love the tale of Robin Hood too! This book didn't look like anything i would like, but you made it sound fantastic so I think I'll be giving it a chance!

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! Hope you love it too then especially if you love the tale of Robin Hood.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read many reviews of this but it sounds fantastic! I'm a big fan of books that feature strong characters and I really like the idea of a twist on the Robin Hood theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of books with strong female characters too!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely adored this book. It still remains one of my faves of 2012. But I know absolutely nothing about Robin Hood, which I'm sort of glad about because it helped me enjoy the book instead of looking for flaws in the storyline, ya know? And I lovedlovedlovedlovedloveddddd Rob! I nominated him in the crush tourney :) Anyway, great review! Glad you enjoyed this book as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so happy you loved this one too and loved Rob of course ! :)

      Delete
  7. I have been wanting to read this one, just haven't had time. It sounds really great though. I will be sure to get around to it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)