Monday, August 13, 2012

It Only Takes One Click Tour: Review of Send by Patty Blount

Send
By: Patty Blount
Released: August 1, 2012
Source: E-ARC for Tour
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"To keep his secrets, all he has to do is listen to the voice in his head and just walk away...On his first day at his new high school, Dan stops a bully from beating up a kid half his size. He didn't want to get involved. All he wants out of his senior year is to fly under the radar. But Dan knows what it's like to be terrorized by a bully-he used to be one. Now the whole school thinks he's some kind of hero, except Julie Murphy, the prettiest girl on campus. She looks at him like she knows he has a secret. Like she knows his name isn't really Daniel." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Send was an intense story that I won't forget anytime soon. When I first heard about this book I was immediately interested because bullying is a topic that is really close to my heart. However what makes this book stand out is that it's from the perspective of a boy who was a bully.

Dan is beginning senior year at a new school and using a new name. He has a secret past that he is trying to keep hidden. He made a poor decision at thirteen and he feels guilty about it every single day. I really liked getting to know Dan because he is such a complex character. He wasn't necessarily a likable character for me at times. He made a huge mistake when he was young and is trying to make better decisions now. I especially liked how much he cared so much about his parents, especially his mom.  

Send has several other great secondary characters too. Julie is a girl at school that Dan can't seem to stop thinking about. She is another complex character with her own secrets. Then there is Brandon, a boy Dan saves from a bully on the first day of school.  

The plot is paced well and I really enjoyed how it all unraveled. I sat down to start this book and before I knew it, I was finishing it because I couldn't put it down. I loved the writing and getting a chance to get inside Dan's head.

This book definitely opened my eyes even more about bullying. There is always two sides to every story. Send shows the reader the effects that bullying has on not just the victim, but also the bully. After finishing this book I definitely needed to take some time to let it all sink in. I feel very strongly about bullying after having personal experiences with it in middle and high school. I wish books like Send could be required reading for teenagers.  Blount does an excellent job of realistically depicting high school and the consequences of bullying. I will definitely pick up another book written by Blount. Overall Send is a powerful story that will leave a lasting impact.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic review!! This sounds like a very touching and wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for reviewing my book. So glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)