Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

Glitch
By: Heather Anastasiu
Released: August 7, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network. When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I liked Glitch but unfortunately this book fell a bit short for me. I was really excited when I first heard about this story because the concept sounded amazing. The concept was very interesting but it was not developed enough and it was difficult to connect with the characters.

Zoel is living in a world where the citizens are implanted with computer chips that control them. However Zoel's chip is starting to "glitch" but she must keep it a secret. I thought Zoe was an interesting protagonist but I just couldn't connect with her even when her computer chip wasn't working.

Zoe then meets Adrien whose computer chip also doesn't work. I liked Adrien but I wish I could have gotten to know him better. I thought the relationship between him and Zoe was rushed. Then there is Max whose chip is also not working and I really struggled to like him.

My favorite aspect of this book was definitely the world that Anastasiu introduces the reader to. The chips are implanted into every person to maintain order which is practically turning them into mindless robots. It was so interesting and I really enjoyed learning about it. I definitely wish that it was developed more though because at times it could get confusing. I especially liked the last few chapters the most. The plot was exciting enough for me to keep reading and I will probably read the next book still because I'm interested enough in this story and characters to find out what will happen next. Overall I liked Glitch and found the concept to be really interesting.  

My Rating:

13 comments:

  1. By the end I liked this one a lot more, but it definitely fell pretty flat for me as well. I'm hoping the next one has a lot more to offer! Great review :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I'm definitely looking forward to the next book.

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for your honesty. This is actually the next book on my tbr-pile and even though I've heard similar mixed things about it, I'm looking forward to read it. :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carina! I hope you enjoy it! I have seen a few people who really loved this book.

      Delete
  3. tnx 4 the review
    i think i'll skipp this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read a lot of reviews similar to this - that it wasn't a horrible book but it just felt short of expectations. I have so many books on my TBR right now that I think I'll skip this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I didn't think it was horrible or anything. It just fell short for me but it was still a pretty enjoyable read.

      Delete
  5. Great review chick!! I thought the concept was interesting, but I didn't really enjoy the book all that much. I didn't like the characters much. I need to like characters, if not a book is just blah to me. Also I noticed that she doesn't know what feeling are really, but she will describe something using a feeling word like livid or something, but how would she even know what that means. I felt pretty much the same about this book as you did. I may read the next book, but if that one isn't better to me, I won't continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Yes totally had that problem with the characters too. I was really confused with the feelings.

      Delete
  6. Sorry it fell short, I've seen that a lot. Sad because it sounds so good.
    Thanks for review,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! It was very disappointing that this one wasn't as great as I hoped.

      Delete
  7. This is an amazing book that I can read over and over again and still be surprised. I'm a harsh critic when I read books but this book has little to no flaws. I can't wait til the next book, Override, comes out. I would recommend this book to any and everyone.

    Zaira Lynn (Cash Advance Fee)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)