Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Unquiet by Jeannine Garsee

The Unquiet
By: Jeannine Garsee
Released: July 17, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Sixteen-year-old Rinn Jacobs has secrets: One, she’s bipolar. Two, she killed her grandmother. After a suicide attempt, and now her parents' separation, Rinn and her mom move from California to the rural Ohio town where her mother grew up. Back on her medications and hoping to stay well, Rinn settles into her new home, undaunted by the fact that the previous owner hanged herself in Rinn's bedroom. At school, her classmates believe the school pool is haunted by Annaliese, a girl who drowned there. But when a reckless séance goes awry, and terrible things start happening to her new friends—yet not to her—Rinn is determined to find out why she can’t be "touched" by Annaliese...or if Annaliese even exists. With the help of Nate Brenner, the hunky “farmer boy” she’s rapidly falling for, Rinn devises a dangerous plan to uncover the truth. Soon reality and fantasy meld into one, till Rinn finds it nearly impossible to tell the difference. When a malevolent force threatens the lives of everyone she cares about--not to mention her own--she can't help wondering: who should she really be afraid of Annaliese? Or herself?" (Summary from goodreads.com)


The Unquiet is a creepy story that I just couldn't put down. Rinn has just recently moved to a small town after an accident that killed her grandmother and Rinn attempted suicide. Rinn is also bipolar and is back to taking her medication again. Not only does she blames herself for her grandmothers death but she also feels guilty for her parents separation. Rinn was a character I definitely grew to like as the story progressed. Sometimes she can be frustrating while at other times I was cheering her on. She is far from being perfect and she is dealing with quite a lot. 

There are plenty of other really interesting characters in this book as well. However, one of my favorites was definitely Rinn's neighbor Nate. Nate was a character I instantly liked and I loved the banter between him and Rinn. I found that many of his scenes helped lighten the story up a bit.  

I went into this book expecting it to probably be really depressing because it does sound like an intense story. However, I didn't find that to be the case necessarily. It was still a really intense story that dealt with some extremely heavy issues but overall this book left me feeling quite creeped out. It's a chilling and scary story that I'm still thinking about days later. I must add though that I did think that Garsee did a great job handling the topic of bipolar and clearly explaining it.

I like that this book instantly picks up and Rinn's past is laid out pretty early. Garsee easily kept me captivated for the entire story. The mystery of Annaliese picks up quickly as well and it had me guessing for the majority of the book. Even once I began to piece it together, there were several unexpected moments that surprised me. I felt that at times the plot dragged on a bit, especially during the last several chapters. However, I really enjoyed the last chapter and it was not what I was expecting to happen at all. Overall, I recommend The Unquiet, it's a chilling story that will keep you up late at night.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. ooh, I'm really excited for this one! I absolutely ADORE that cover and it's so creepy! Also, I'm glad you couldn't put it down! I love those type of stories. :)

    great review! definitely going to put this one on the wishlist!

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! Yes I am in love with this cover too it is so gorgeous and creepy! Hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa, this book sounds creepy, but still good.
    Plus, your review was amazing!
    :)

    I'm going to have to put this one on my TBR pile!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book,crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, I like creepy! I am kind of glad to hear it sides on that a little more than the heavy depressing stuff. I look forward to reading this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that there was more to this story. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I am currently reading this one, and I am liking it so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)