Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

Pushing the Limits
By: Katie McGarry
Released: July 31, 2012
Source: Netgalley/ARC from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"So wrong for each other...and yet so right. No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I completely loved Pushing the Limits and I never wanted this book to end. I loved the plot, the characters, and especially the writing. When I first started hearing about this book I knew it would be a story that would touch me personally. So I admit I was a little hesitant about picking it up because of my own personal reasons. However I'm so happy I didn't let that stop me from reading this book and I'm particularly happy with how McGarry delivered Echo and Noah's story.

Echo went from being one of the popular girls to a complete outcast. She has scars on her arms and no recollection of what happened the night she got them. She wants to be normal but she also wants to know what happened to her. It was easy for me to connect with her from the beginning. Echo is a complex character and I really enjoyed how McGarry developed her over the course of the story.

Then there is bad boy Noah who is also an outcast with his own secrets. I loved how the relationship between Noah and Echo developed. The chemistry between them was evident from the beginning but their relationship developed naturally and at a realistic pace. There were several other characters I completely loved also such as Lila, Isaiah, and Grace.

I loved how McGarry alternated the chapters between Echo and Noah. I'm a big fan of alternating point of views and I think it especially worked well in this book. It not only helped develop Noah and Echo much stronger but it also helped move the plot along. The writing was just beautiful and it all flowed smoothly from one page to the next. It was definitely a struggle to put this book down at night.

Overall, Pushing the Limits was an honest and intense story. This book made me smile, laugh, cry, and it even caused my heart to ache quite a bit. McGarry did an excellent job handling several issues in this book too. I can't wait to read what she writes next because this book has definitely made me a fan now. Pushing the Limits has rightfully earned a place as being one of my new favorite contemporary books and I strongly recommend it!


My Rating:

14 comments:

  1. Yes, this book made me feel all sorts of emotions. I totally love it. I need to get myself a pretty Hardcover copy. Have you seen what it looks like without the dust jacket on? SO awesome!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes love the hardcover jacket! Totally buying a copy when it comes out!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good. I want to read it really badly. I have seen so many awesome reviews for it, including yours. I just need it, lol.

    Great review, Traci :)

    Jennifer @ Dream Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been hearing so many good things about this book and I for sure need to check it out. Thanks for the amazing review!

    -Chayse
    thebookreaper.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read this book so bad!
    I also love when the author alternates POV between characters and I also enjoy when the character's love seem to develop natural and at a good pace. So it is believable!

    Great Review!

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book,crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book. I enjoy alternating POV and the POV between Echo and Noah was well-done. I loved these two characters. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! So happy you loved this book too. Loved Echo and Noah!

      Delete
  6. Loved this one! I agree, the romantic pacing was perfect. I love watching relationships grow like that. Noah's story made me cry quite a bit, but I love feeling touched by a story like that. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved Noah too and his story definitely made me cry too.

      Delete
  7. I'm currently reading this one and I certainly see the magic that this book seems to have over everyone. The beginning of the book to about the middle was just how any other contemp story would be so I wasn't that impressed at first but now that I'm getting closer to the end of the book I'm starting to see the true power this book holds. It is a great blend of mature YA romance and real life issues. Plus I love that the author doesn't just come out and say hey these people have problems and here is the life lesson to be learned, instead she is just writing a beautiful story and letting people/teens relate to it in their own way.

    Thanks for the great review, so glad you gave this one a chance and ended up loving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! You are definitely right it was a good blend of mature YA issues.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)