Monday, July 2, 2012

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

In Honor
By: Jessi Kirby
Released: May 8, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it. Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

I loved In Honor and read this book in one sitting. I loved going on this trip with these characters and I really enjoyed how Kirby developed them. Honor has just lost her brother who has been taking care of her for her entire life. When she finds a letter he sent her though, she decides to go on a road trip to California. Honor was a character that I instantly liked. She is trying to hold it all together and be strong but she feels lost without her brother in her life.

Rusty unexpectedly joins Honor on her trip though. Rusty used to be Honor's brother's best friend but they had a falling out. I really enjoyed how Rusty's character developed though and learning more about him.

The plot starts immediately on the first page so I found it really easy to get into this story. There were definitely several moments in this book that brought tears to my eyes but there were also some lighter moments to help balance it out. I was a bit worried this book would be too depressing when I first heard about it but it was definitely not what I was expecting, and I mean that in a good way. It's not just a story of loss but it's about moving forward and living life.  I especially enjoyed the memories that Honor would recall of growing up with her brother.  

I love books that take you on a road trip along with the characters and that's just Kirby does with this story. Honor and Rusty find themselves in a couple of interesting situations while on the road. I loved the setting from Honor's hometown to the several places she ended up. I was a bit sad when it came time for this book to come to an end because I didn't want to leave these characters just yet. I will definitely be looking forward to what Kirby writes next though. Overall, In Honor is a beautifully written and heartwarming story that I recommend. I have another new favorite contemporary book to add to my growing list now.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I have this on my TBR list. It sounds wonderful. I love road trips! It's good to know that you got attached to the characters and didn't want the book to end. I am big on character connection so I think that I would love it!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds so lovely. SO SO LOVELY. Like this wonderful mixture of sweet, cute, and poignant. I am DEFINITELY picking this up whenever I can. Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard mixed things about this book, but your review as convinced me to give it a chance. And how did I not know this book features a ROAD TRIP?! They're my absolute favorite, so that makes me even more excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! I hope you enjoy it! I'm such a sucker for books with road trips!

      Delete
  4. Howdy! Does the rate of updating your site depend on specific issues or you compose articles when you have a special mood or write blog entries in case you have enough time on it? Waiting forward to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)