Monday, July 23, 2012

Eve by Anna Carey

Eve
By: Anna Carey
Released: October 4, 2011
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her. Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life." (Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Eve and finished this book in one sitting. I found it easy to get sucked into this book. Set in a dystopian future, a virus has killed the majority of the population. Eve is set to graduate school and she is looking forward to the bright future that she was led to believe she would have. However after discovering the truth, Eve runs away. Eve was a flawed character that I really liked. She may be book smart but she lacks knowledge of how to survive in the real world. This leads Eve to make mistakes but also learn about what she was being kept in the dark about at school.

One of my favorite characters in this book though was Arden. I didn't immediately like her but as I got to learn more about her, she easily became my favorite. She is tough and a survivor but she is also flawed. I loved how she was developed. While on the run, Eve meets Caleb who lives out on his own. I loved learning more about Caleb but I wish he was in the story even more.

One of my favorite aspects of this book was definitely the setting. It's set only a few years into the future and it's scary how realistic it all is. I loved learning about it and I really liked how Carey presented it.

The plot was paced a bit too quickly for me though. I felt that some relationships developed too quickly and I also felt that some moments were rushed. However I was surprised by many of the twists throughout the story. Some things were predictable while other moments took me by surprise. I will definitely be reading the next book in this series, Once, because I'm looking forward to learning about what will happen next. Overall I recommend Eve, it was a captivating and quick read.

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Great Review!

    I am going to have to put this one on my TBR pile for sure!

    :)

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book,crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you enjoyed this one! I recently bought a copy at bookcloseouts for only a few dollars so I am looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyy I'm glad you liked this one!!! I loved it SO MUCH and Once is even better :D LIKE CRAZY GOOD!!! Like I CRIED all the time. So you know, you definitely need to read that one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)