Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chosen Ones by Tiffany Truitt

Chosen Ones
By: Tiffany Truitt
Released: June 12, 2012
Source: Signed Finished Copy from BEA
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"What if you were mankind’s last chance at survival? Sixteen-year-old Tess lives in a compound in what was once the Western United States, now decimated after a devastating fourth World War. But long before that, life as we knew it had been irrevocably changed, as women mysteriously lost the ability to bring forth life. Faced with the extinction of the human race, the government began the Council of Creators, meant to search out alternative methods of creating life. The resulting artificial human beings, or Chosen Ones, were extraordinarily beautiful, unbelievably strong, and unabashedly deadly. Life is bleak, but uncomplicated for Tess as she follows the rigid rules of her dystopian society, until the day she begins work at Templeton, the training facility for newly created Chosen Ones. There, she meets James, a Chosen One whose odd love of music and reading rivals only her own. The attraction between the two is immediate in its intensity—and overwhelming in its danger. But there is more to the goings-on at Templeton than Tess ever knew, and as the veil is lifted from her eyes, she uncovers a dark underground movement bent not on taking down the Chosen Ones, but the Council itself. Will Tess be able to stand up to those who would oppress her, even if it means giving up the only happiness in her life?"(Summary from goodreads.com)

I really enjoyed Chosen Ones and finished this book rather quickly. Set in a dystopian future, women can no longer carry children and artificial humans, Chosen Ones, are being created. Tess is sent to work at Templeton where the Chosen Ones train. However while she is there she meets James, a Chosen One who is different from the others.

I really liked Tess from the beginning because she is tough and trying to survive. I enjoyed learning more about her childhood and her family because it helped explain why she has such a negative view on love and the future. I especially loved how she develops as the story progressed though.

James is a Chosen One but he is different from the others. It was interesting getting to know him and learn about how he is trained at the facility for most of his young life. He loves books and music though and that is what helps Tess and James bond in the beginning. However, the relationship between Tess and James is paced a bit fast at first.

The setting was one of my favorite aspects of this book. The world that Truitt creates is terrifying but realistic. I loved that the history and the background information on the Chosen Ones was spread out through the story.

The plot was interesting and it didn't take long for me to get sucked into this book. I loved the role that music and literature played in this story, especially Frankenstein. I enjoyed the second half of this book the most though. I loved how the story began to unravel and there were so many unexpected twists that I never saw coming. The ending left me breathless for more and I will be highly anticipating the next book. I can't wait to see where Truitt will take this story next. Overall, Chosen Ones was an exciting and romantic story set in a disturbing world.  

My Rating:

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting read.I am totally going to add this to my tbr list. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I am going to have to try to read this one... one day! ha ha
    Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Reading :)

    Magen Corrie
    ~Corrie the book,crazed girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this book too. Fantastic review!! I can't wait for the next book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)