Thursday, June 7, 2012

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

Timepiece (Hourglass #2)
By: Myra McEntire
Released: June 12, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong? Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results. Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough..." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Myra McEntire's Timepiece is the sequel to Hourglass and picks up shortly after the ending of Hourglass. Jack Landers appears once again and attacks. Now Kaleb, Michael and Emerson must try to track down Jack and stop him.

I really enjoyed Timepiece and thought it was a great sequel to Hourglass. I loved Hourglass and couldn't wait to see where McEntire would take this different and exciting story next. I found that Timepiece was captivating and it took me by surprise with several unexpected plot twists.

This time the story is told from Kaleb's perspective. I was a bit worried about the change in narrator but McEntire makes it work very well. I completely loved reading this book from Kaleb's perspective and getting another point of view of what is happening. I also loved learning more about Kaleb because he is a character I easily fell in love with in Hourglass and I adore him even more now.

Emerson and Michael are still a major part of the story but I did miss them a bit. I was also happy to read a lot more of Lily. Lily is Emerson's best friend and I loved learning her story. She became one of my favorite characters in this book.

I loved that the story picked up immediately in the first chapter. It slowed down for a bit after that for a couple of chapters but it quickly picked up again. Once it picked up again, I found it hard to put this book down until I finished. I love the concept of time traveling that McEntire has introduced in this series because it's so interesting and different from what I have previously read. I love how it's all starting to come together now and I found that I was able to follow along with all the science of the time traveling a lot easier in this book. I loved the ending the most and it was not what I was expecting to happen at all. I definitely can't wait to read what will happen in the next book now. I highly recommend Timepiece, it's an exciting and interesting sequel!

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. I really loved this one; I was afraid I wouldn't like it was much as Hourglass because it was KALEB this time and well, I'm a Michael girl... so awkward. but yes, Timepiece was wonderful. :)

    great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! Yes another Michael girl! I feel like I'm the only one some days and I was just discussing that on Tuesday with some other bloggers. Glad you loved it too!

      Delete
  2. This series is on my wishlist. I love the covers and your review has me anxious to start them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it when you do get a chance to read it. I also love the covers too!

      Delete
  3. I just bought Hourglass, hopefully I can get to it soon. I have heard it's great. Thanks for the awesome review of Timepiece. I am looking forward to reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to start Hourglass!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book. I liked Timepiece, but not as much as Hourglass. It was nice to see Lily more often, but I feel like Emerson and Michael faded into side characters. Plus, Emerson's point of view seemed more natural and her personality shone more than Kaleb's. I do have to admit that the first line of Timepiece was much better than Hourglass'. Great review, Traci!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I was a bit sad to see Michael and Emerson bumped to side characters as well. However, I definitely liked Kaleb and Lily a lot more than I was expecting to. Also totally agree about the first line!

      Delete
  5. I just read Hourglass and Timepiece a few weeks ago and loved them! I was a little sad to see Michael and Emerson less but I really do love Lily and Kaleb. I am really curious to see who's POV we will see in the next book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I agree, I missed Michael and Emerson but I really grew to love Lily and Kaleb! I can't wait to see who is the narrator in the next book too!

      Delete
  6. Timepiece picks up shortly after where Hourglass ends. The gang at Hourglass is in the midst of a crisis and they realize very quickly that if they don't locate Jack that all of their lives will be permanently altered. Timepiece, like Hourglass, is full of adventure, mystery, romance (really, really swoony romance!!), kick-ass superpowers, and time traveling.

    While I love all the action and adventure the emotional journey of Timepiece is what really touched me. I've admitted that I ugly cried over events in Hourglass but the moments that brought me to tears in Timepiece snuck up on me and caught me off guard with their impact. One of the many reasons I adore Kaleb is that he is so very broken. I don't want to spoil anything but Kaleb makes some huge emotional strides in this book. It's those moments that brought tears to my eyes. There is one really big emotional moment that took my breath away with it's beauty. Just thinking about it gives me chills!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)