Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Smart Girls Get What They Want by Sarah Strohmeyer

Smart Girls Get What They Want
By: Sarah Strohmeyer
Release Date: June 26, 2012
Source: ARC from Author/Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Gigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and total overachievers. Even if they aren’t the most popular girls in school, they aren’t too worried. They know their real lives will begin once they get to their Ivy League colleges. There will be ivy, and there will be cute guys in the libraries (hopefully with English accents)! But when an unexpected event shows them they’re missing out on the full high school experience, it’s time to come out of the honors lounge and into the spotlight. They make a pact: They will each take on their greatest challenge—and they will totally rock it. Gigi decides to run for student rep, but she’ll have to get over her fear of public speaking—and go head-to-head with gorgeous California Will. Bea used to be one of the best skiers around, until she was derailed. It could be time for her to take the plunge again. And Neerja loves the drama club but always stayed behind the scenes—until now. These friends are determined to show that smart girls get what they want—but that could mean getting way more attention than they ever bargained for" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Sarah Strohmeyer's Smart Girls Get What They Want is the story of three best friends Gigi, Bea, and Neerja. The girls all dream of going to Ivy League schools but they decide that they will still get everything out of their high school experience. Gigi runs for student rep, Bea joins the ski team, and Neerja auditions for the school play.

I loved Smart Girls Get What They Want! This book was hilarious and I loved the plot, the characters, and the writing! Gigi, Bea, and Neerja are best friends and have been since childhood. The three friends are each strongly developed as the story progresses and I loved reading where their story took them next. It only took a couple of pages before I was attached to these characters and fiercely cheering them on. I loved the friendship they shared because they stuck together no matter what. They would do anything for each other. They even remind me a lot of myself in high school, especially Gigi.

Gigi is a perfectionist when it comes to school and it was nice seeing a character who cared so much about her work. She is afraid of public speaking though and she doesn't always think through what she says out loud. I loved her hilarious and witty remarks though. I especially loved her commentary on taking Latin class since I suffered through that for two years. It's also good to know that I'm not the only person who puts Nutella on Poptarts.

There are plenty of other great side characters as well. Will is the new guy from California and who is also running against Gigi for student representative. Then there is Mike who Gigi must work on a project with and I completely adored him.

I finished Smart Girls Get What They Want rather quickly because I found it nearly impossible to put this book down. The writing is captivating and flows smoothly. There were plenty of hilarious moments that had me completely laughing out loud. I also loved that there were some great references to a few of my other favorite books. This story is an honest and realistic portrayal of friendship and high school though. It was also nice to see that it wasn't the typical popular girl who was getting everything. I loved that overall this book had a great message about being yourself and working hard for what you want. I definitely didn't want it to end though because I wasn't ready to say goodbye to these characters just yet, so I will be rereading this book again very soon. I strongly recommend Smart Girls Get What They Want, it's a fun and light read that you won't want to miss out on!

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I'll be reading this one just as soon as I finish Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read this book. I haven't seen too many reviews on it, but the few I have are great and it seems like a good book. I really enjoy good quick light reads, and this one sounds like just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for such a nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds really good. I haven't heard of it yet, but will be adding it to my TBR pile. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen Smart Girls Get What They Want around before so I already knew it was a book that interested me. However your review has made me a bit more excited. :) I love L-O-L books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You will definitely love this book then! :)

      Delete
  6. Lovely review! This looks like such a fun, charming sort of read. Fluffy books are always a good time. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! It is definitely refreshing to read a fun book for a change after reading a bunch of paranormal books.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)