Monday, June 18, 2012

Shut Up by Anne Tibbets

Shut Up
By: Anne Tibbets
Released: April 15, 2012
Source: E-book from Author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"Mary's older sister, Gwen, has royally screwed up her life. Not only is Gwen pregnant at seventeen, but she's also decided to marry The Creep who knocked her up. Now Mary is powerless to stop her family from imploding. Her parents are freaking out, and to top it off The Creep has a gross fascination with Mary while Gwen enjoys teasing her to tears for sport. Despite her brother's advice to shut up, Mary can't keep her trap closed and manages to piss off Mom so much it comes to blows. Mary doesn't know what to do, and all her attempts to get help are rejected. When she finally plans her escape, she fails to consider how it could destroy them all." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Anne Tibbets' Shut Up is the story of Mary whose life at home is falling to pieces. Her older sister is pregnant and marrying the guy. Her parents are freaking out about it and Mary can't seem to do anything right in their eyes.

Shut Up is a quick read that I was able to finish in one sitting but this story carries a strong impact that will stay with you long after you finish this book. I really wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book but I was definitely surprised. Just a few pages in, Tibbets already had me feeling strong emotions towards these characters. Mary is not having an easy time growing up in her family. She is a character that I wish I could just hug. Being a teenager is hard already but Mary's home life is falling apart and she doesn't feel like she fits in.  

I completely hated Mary's older sister, Gwen, though. She is pregnant and plans on marrying a guy who is rightfully nicknamed The Creep. Gwen, however, makes Mary's life miserable. It's sickening how much pleasure she gets in putting Mary down time and time again. So many other characters infuriated me as well such as Mary's parents, The Creep, and her teacher.

However, I loved that this story is realistic and honest because there is no perfect family. I enjoyed how the chapters alternated between Mary and her older brother Paul because it gave different perspectives on the family. I also liked that the chapters alternated between the present and past. Tibbets makes it work really well and flow smoothly. Tibbets also does a great job addressing family issues, teen pregnancy, and suicide. Overall, I really enjoyed Shut Up and recommend it. It's a short book that you won't forget about anytime soon.

My Rating:


5 comments:

  1. Great review! It sounds like a very raw, powerful sort of story. I may have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, I love the idea that this is a realistic story, you're completely right, no family is perfect. I am definitely interested to see what this is like, especially reading about the family dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! The whole family dynamic was really interesting and I'm a big fan of realistic books. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)