Thursday, June 14, 2012

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door
By: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Released: June 14, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, numerous, messy, affectionate. And every day from her balcony perch, seventeen-year-old Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs her terrace and changes everything. As the two fall fiercely in love, Jase's family makes Samantha one of their own. Then in an instant, the bottom drops out of her world and she is suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?" (Summary from goodreads.com)

Huntley Fitzpatrick's My Life Next Door is the story of Samantha who has lived next door to the Garrett family for years. She has secretly watched them for years wishing that she was a part of their family. However her own neat and seemingly perfect life changes the night Jase Garrett climbs up to her window.

I don't think I can properly emphasize just how much I loved My Life Next Door. This is the kind of book where with every page I loved it even more and more. It has easily become one of my favorite contemporary books. I found myself completely lost in this story and with these characters. Samantha is a strongly developed character that I easily could connect with. She lives with her mother who is a politician and her older sister. Their lives are neat and organized which is the complete opposite of her neighbors. Samantha is jealous of them though. She isn't the perfect person that everyone assumes she is though. Samantha works hard and tries to live up to her mother's expectations.

I loved the entire Garrett family and their family dynamic. I even wish I was a part of their family. The Garrett's have several children and are judged harshly by most of their neighbors for it. I especially loved Jase Garrett. I really enjoyed how a relationship develops between him and Samantha. There are also Samantha's friends Nan and Tim, who I really enjoyed getting to know as well.

I was instantly hooked by this story as soon as I started reading and was reluctant to put it down. I think what I loved most about this book is that it was so realistic and honest. There are so many issues handled well such as family, sex, and drugs. The book is set in Connecticut which I really connected with also because that's where I grew up. The town reminded me a lot of my own and I unfortunately know plenty of people who judge large families just like the Garrett's. Fitzpatrick makes an excellent debut and her writing is captivating. I will definitely be reading what she writes next. I found this book to be the perfect example as to why I love contemporary books so much. I strongly recommend My Life Next Door, it's one book you won't want to put down!

My Rating:

21 comments:

  1. Oooh, I can't wait to read this book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much. When I was younger, I lived in Connecticut for a little while but I don't really remember much. XD

    Great review, Traci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review! This has been on my TBR for a while, so I can't wait to go pick it up and read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Hope you enjoy it when you pick up a copy!

      Delete
  3. oh wow, that's a fantastic review! I'm really looking forward to this one now that I've heard such great things about it. :D :D :D glad you liked it!

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! So glad you liked this one! I've been drooling over it for weeks now! Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eee! Lovely review. <3 I'm so glad you were such a fan of this one; I've wanted it since I first heard of it, so I'm really, really happy it's awesome. It sounds so powerful and adorable. I'll definitely have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an incredibly cute book! I may need to add it to my list of beach reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good book to take with you to the beach!

      Delete
  7. Ohh this one sounds fabulous. I love when family is actually a part of the overall story. It's so common to just leave the family out so I really like that it's there. It sounds like a perfect summer read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I agree, it was nice seeing the family involved more in this story.

      Delete
  8. This story actually sounds a little like Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys which is a great read if you are looking for another big family and one girl falling for one boy from that family setting.

    Thanks for the awesome review, I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I definitely need to look into that book now I definitely would like to read another story that has a big family setting.

      Delete
  9. This book sounds like a pretty cute book! I'm definitely going to be getting a copy of this book. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds amazing! Very high on my wishlist. I love when a book ends up being deep and emotional when you're not expecting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love when books can do that! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to pick up a copy of this one. I love this type of contemp read, and one of your favorites? Yay! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)