Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

A Midsummer's Nightmare
By: Kody Keplinger
Released: June 5, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Whitley Johnson's dream summer with her divorcé dad has turned into a nightmare. She's just met his new fiancée and her kids. The fiancée's son? Whitley's one-night stand from graduation night. Just freakin' great. Worse, she totally doesn't fit in with her dad's perfect new country-club family. So Whitley acts out. She parties. Hard. So hard she doesn't even notice the good things right under her nose: a sweet little future stepsister who is just about the only person she's ever liked, a best friend (even though Whitley swears she doesn't "do" friends), and a smoking-hot guy who isn't her stepbrother...at least, not yet. It will take all three of them to help Whitley get through her anger and begin to put the pieces of her family together." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Kody Keplinger's A Midsummer's Nightmare is the story of Whitley who usually loves spending the summer with her dad but that all changes when she meets his fiancee and her kids. The son just so happens to be the guy that Whitley had a one night stand with after graduation.

I loved A Midsummer's Nightmare and read this book in one sitting. I'm a big fan of Kody Keplinger so I have been looking forward to reading this book for some time now. Whitley is an angry teenager and she likes to party. She was looking forward to her summer before college with her dad but is shocked when she finds out that not only did he move, but he is engaged as well. Whitley doesn't have a great relationship with her mom either because her mom is still bitter from the divorce years ago. However, I liked Whitley even though she could get frustrating at times. She is a character who is far from perfect which just makes her even more realistic to me. I also loved Whitley's hilarious sarcasm.

There were also so many great side characters as well. My favorite character was definitely Nathan. Nathan is Whitley's soon to be step-brother and her one night stand from graduation. I loved how his character developed and learning more about him. Then there is Bailey who is Whitley's soon to be step-sister. Bailey is so sweet and looks up to Whitley. Finally there is Harrison, who becomes Whitley's friend and I wished he was in the story even more. I thought he was not only hilarious but he seemed like a great friend to have. I was also really excited to see Wesley and Bianca from The Duff make an appearance.

I love Keplinger's writing and it continues to improve more and more with each book. I love that she writes how teenagers actually speak. The plot is realistic and honest as well. Keplinger does an excellent job with topics like family, alcohol, bullying, and sex. I especially liked how she handled slut-shaming. I will definitely be anxiously awaiting the next book that Keplinger writes. I strongly recommend A Midsummer's Nightmare!

My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. I loved Nathan, too! he was so sweet and I love their relationship--it was so forbidden, but I so wanted them to kiss again. so much chemistry!

    great review, Traci. :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! Omg there was so much chemistry but I loved their relationship!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to read this book! I didn't know Wesley and Bianca made an appearance.. even if it's a small one it's still exciting!

    I definitely need to get this book soon! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! I was so excited to see an appearance of Wesley and Bianca! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds so good. I have been dying to read it, but I know I don't really have time right now and I am trying to stick to my book buying ban as much as possible. (some books totally don't count though, like my pre-orders or books from book signings lol) Great review hon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Lol I totally know what you mean! I keep putting myself on buying bans and then I end up buying more books instead. :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful review! I think, after this, I may have to pick this one up. I'm a huge fan of sarcastic narrators, and it just sounds so real and wonderful. Also, I love when authors include characters from their previous novels in their following books--it makes me go all fangirl-y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! You will definitely love any book by Kody Keplinger because her protagonists are sarcastic. Also I love when characters make reappearances in books too! :)

      Delete
  5. Ah! Traci, WHYYY. This review makes me want to go to Barnes and pick up a copy right away! I've only read one of Kody's books and it was The DUFF. I really liked it! So knowing that Wesley and Bianca have a little cameo in this book makes me even more excited to check this book out. :D Awesome review, Traci! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Sophia! I loved the Duff so I was so thrilled to see Wesley and Bianca again! Hope you can pick up a copy soon and love it too! :)

      Delete
  6. I've never read a book by Kody Keplinger but I've heard wonderful things about Midsummer's Nightmare. It's near the toppish of my tbr list. Ha ha. Great review! I'm glad there was a good mixture of characters, especially side ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plot of A Midsummer's Nightmare is fairly simple and the author presents it in a very straightforward fashion. I'll just say that it was predictable, but I didn't mind too much because I loved the characters and not ever book has to be a guessing game. If the characters weren't so wonderfully done, I probably would have hated this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)