Monday, June 4, 2012

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

Lies Beneath
By: Anne Greenwood Brown
Release Date: June 12, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him." (Summary from goodreads.com)
Anne Greenwood Brown's Lies Beneath is the story of Calder and his three sisters who are mermaids. They survive by killing humans and taking their energy. Calder and his sisters are seeking revenge on Jason Hancock who they blame for their mother's death. In order to get close to Jason though, Calder plans on seducing his daughter Lily.

I loved Lies Beneath and read this book in one sitting. The characters are well written and strongly developed. They are also complex and far from perfect, but that is what made me love them even more. Calder made an excellent and interesting protagonist. He is gorgeous, charming, and a mermaid. Calder and his three sisters survive by killing and absorbing a humans energy though. He is very different from his sisters though and doesn't come across as intimidating as they did.

Lily is Jason Hancock's daughter and Calder is using Lily to get close to her father. I loved Lily from the moment she first appeared in the story. She loves poetry and has her own fashion style. She is creative, tough, unique, and smart. Lily also loves her family though and is loyal to the ones she cares about. Calder's sisters: Maris, Tallulah, and Pavati were all intense and a bit scary. However, they care deeply for one another and will do anything to protect each another.

Lies Beneath is exciting and filled with several unexpected twists. I loved the mermaid mythology that Brown uses. The idea of murderous mermaids was so interesting and explained very well. I admit mermaids are seriously becoming my newest obsession this year. I loved the ending but at the same time I didn't want the book to end. I will be anxiously anticipating the sequel because I can't wait to see where this story will go next. However while I do wait, I will definitely be rereading this book again soon. I highly recommend Lies Beneath, it is a captivating and suspenseful book that you will find hard to put down.

My Rating:

8 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed Lies Beneath! I've always believed that there are not enough books out there about mermaids! And then we're hit with killer mermaids! It was really awesome! Great review :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! I agree, I don't think there are enough mermaid books! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, my review will post on Friday and I like you thought Greenwood's take on mermaid mythology was fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Love the different take on mermaid mythology! :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely review! :D I've seen some mixed opinions on this one, but reviews like yours convince me that it's worth a try. Lily sounds really freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! I know I have seen mixed things but I really did love it. Lily is such an awesome character! Hope you enjoy it if you check it out!

      Delete
  4. I've heard a lot of good things about this one! To be fair, a lot of mermaid books sort of put me off because there just aren't enough *good* ones out there, you know? But I'll be excited to read this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I know what you mean. I was really hesistant to read a mermaid story in the first place but I found that I really love the different takes on mermaid mythology. I know it isn't for everyone though.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)