Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

The Golden Lily (Bloodlines #2)
By: Richelle Mead
Released: June 12, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Tough, brainy alchemist Sydney Sage and doe-eyed Moroi princess Jill Dragomir are in hiding at a human boarding school in the sunny, glamorous world of Palm Springs, California. The students--children of the wealthy and powerful--carry on with their lives in blissful ignorance, while Sydney, Jill, Eddie, and Adrian must do everything in their power to keep their secret safe. But with forbidden romances, unexpected spirit bonds, and the threat of Strigoi moving ever closer, hiding the truth is harder than anyone thought." (Summary from goodreads.com)

The Golden Lily is the second book in the Bloodlines series and picks up shortly after Bloodlines. I really love Bloodlines and I especially love the Vampire Academy series so I'm pretty much a huge fan of Richelle Mead in general. I had extremely high expectations for The Golden Lily and I'm so happy that it was even better than I expected. Mead once again wrote a captivating and exciting book with a strongly developed plot and characters that you can't help but fall in love with. I particularly love how Mead writes characters, especially the protagonists.

Sydney is still working with the alchemists and helping hide Jill at a boarding school in Palm Springs. Sydney is one of my favorite characters because not only is she tough but she is brilliant as well. She has a lot to deal with and she always puts others ahead of herself. I enjoy how she is developing and changing throughout this series though.

I loved seeing the return of Eddie, Jill, Trey, and of course Adrian. Adrian is a character I never really cared about in the Vampire Academy series but in this series, I'm crazy about him. I love how much his character has developed since his first appearance in the Vampire Academy series. I was also really excited about Dimitri having a role in this book. I not only loved seeing more of him but I also enjoyed seeing how he interacts in this setting with these characters. 

The plot for The Golden Lily was interesting and hooked me in early on. I really like where Mead is taking this story and these characters. I especially found it hard to put this book down for long. However, a couple parts of this story were a bit predictable but it was still enjoyable.

One of my favorite aspects of this book and series though is the humor. Some of the lines in this book make me completely laugh out loud. I loved the ending of this book the most though and it definitely left me with a mix of emotions. I will be anxiously awaiting the next book in this series. Overall, The Golden Lily is an excellent addition to the Bloodlines series and I highly recommend it.

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. I am so excited for this book! Can't wait to read it; I'm really excited to get back into the world of vampires and of course, Dimitri! hee, I LOVE Dimitri the mostest. Adrian is okay, but Dimitri. <3

    great review, lady!

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! *Swoon* Dimitri <3 Adrian is winning me over though. :)

      Delete
  2. Adrian has been my favorite VA guy since Frostbite. My love for him just keeps on growing exponentially (if that's the right word? lol)- but yea, he is amazeballs, haha!

    There were some times in the book, especially with Adrian and Sydney scenes, that had me laughing like crazy!

    I just love this series and agreed. Richelle is amazing at writing protagonists!

    Great review, Traci! Glad to see you liked this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Glad you liked this one too! I'm happy I'm loving Adrian a lot more now. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! Like you, TGL exceeded my expectations too, in fact I was surprised by how much I loved it and I agree about Adrian, I wasn't crazy about him in VA but I LOVE him in this series!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)