Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Author Interview: Teresa Lo

Teresa Lo, author of Hell's Game, has kindly taken the time to answer some questions.

1.) First tell us a bit about your book, Hell’s Game.
   Hell’s Game follows a group of popular teenagers who are forced to play a high-stakes game in Hell after they play a prank on the school nerd. As the group moves from level to level in the game, the settings intensify, and each level is a manifestation of one of the seven deadly sins. The story was inspired by the legend of the Gateway to Hell in Stull, Kansas.


2. How did you become familiar with the legends of Gateway to Hell in Stull,
Kansas?
   Growing up in Kansas, I often had heard stories about Stull. The legend was that an old church in the cemetery was the portal to Hell, and on Halloween night the Gateway opened. A lot of people, mostly teenagers, went to the cemetery on Halloween to see if the legend was real, and that dangerous curiosity inspired me to come up with Hell’s Game.


3. Were any of the characters in Hell’s Game inspired by real people?
   Mean Queen Ashley Gemini and Town Golden Boy Jake Victor were inspired by people I knew in high school. They weren’t based on anyone specific, but I took traits from several people and blended them together to create the two characters. The other player of the game, the meek Asian-American Kristin Grace, was loosely based upon myself. I was really insecure when I was a teenager because I encountered a lot of racism, and I took my experiences to create a story arc for Kristin.


4. What is your all time favorite book?
   My favorite book is John L’Heureux’s The Shrine at Altamira. It is one of the darkest, most twisted stories about love and how it can quickly turn into madness. The book begins its focus on an interracial couple, Maria and Russell, and the reader quickly learns of their obsession with one another. After they marry, however, the obsession grows dark when Maria’s attention turns to her son and Russell finds himself jealous of his child. What happens next truly horrified me, but it’s the way L’Heureux makes me care about his characters that really impresses. I’ll never forget this book, and I highly recommend it!


5. What was the last book you read?
   Bossypants by Tina Fey. I really connected with her struggles to make it as a female writer in the entertainment industry, and I found myself smiling at nearly every page.


6. Are you currently working on anything new?
   I’m adapting Hell’s Game into a screenplay, and I’m also working on creating new online content for my website.
www.tloclub.com

Learn more about Teresa Lo and Hell's Game:
Website: www.tloclub.com
Facebook: Facebook
Twitter: Twitter
Hell’s Game on Amazon: Amazon
Hell’s Game on Goodreads: Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. I haven't heard of it before. Thanks for sharing. Great interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is an excellent read--highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)