Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Until I Die by Amy Plum

Until I Die
By: Amy Plum
Released: May 8, 2012
Source: Won ARC from Beneath The Jacket
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love. As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy. In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Amy Plum's Until I Die is the sequel to Die for Me and picks up shortly after. Kate and Vincent are struggling to find a way to stay together. Vincent finds it difficult to resist the urge to sacrifice himself saving others which leads him to find an alternative way to stay with Kate. However, the Numa are beginning to rise again.

I loved Until I Die even more than Die for Me. I felt that I got to know the characters much better in this book. I loved Kate already, especially after the ending of Die for Me. Kate is becoming more deeply involved in the world of the revenants though. She is training to fight now and is growing stronger. I think I like Kate so much because if she wants something she will go out and do it.

I already loved Vincent but I only grew to love him even more in this book. He is trying to find an alternative way to control the urge to sacrifice himself while saving others for Kate. I really like how Kate and Vincent's relationship has developed because it isn't perfect. I was also thrilled to see the return of some characters such as Jules and Georgia. I definitely loved Jules even more after reading this book as well. I love Kate's sister Georgia because I think she is hilarious. The relationship between Kate and Georgia is one of my favorites because they would do anything for each other. I'm always a huge fan of sibling relationships in books. Also Violette and Arthur are two of the new interesting characters introduced.

I found it hard to put this book down once I picked it up. The plot moves quickly even though there isn't much action but there is quite the build up of suspense. I didn't even miss the action all that much because I found I was genuinely interested in learning more about these characters. After reading Die for Me, I felt that I wish I knew them better and so I was happy to have this sequel. I was also happy that many of my lingering questions about revenants were answered. I love this revenant mythology and it's definitely not something I have read before. However, the few action scenes that did happen were great. I also adore the setting in Paris! Plum uses great detail and I can almost imagine that I'm on the streets of Paris alongside Kate and Vincent. I wasn't entirely sure what would happen next as the story progressed, although I had a few suspicions, I was definitely shocked by the time I finished it. The ending leaves on a cliffhanger that has me dying to read the next book. I was a mix of emotions after putting this book down. I strongly recommend Until I Die, it was an excellent sequel!

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. Glad this one was so great because I plan on reading the first book this month. It is always nice to get questions answered and learn more about the characters in a sequel. I'm not fully an action girl, I connect better with the characters so a character driven story is perfect for me.

    Glad you really loved this one, thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! It is definitely a character driven story in the sequel. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm going to be reading this one next! Glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first one, but haven't gotten around to it. I have been hearing a lot of mixed things about this one. I'm glad that you liked it. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I wasnt all that crazy about the first book but loved this one a lot more.

      Delete
  4. To be honest, I struggled a little getting through this one. There was a lot more information on Revenants in this installment and at times it felt a little info-dumpy (is that a real term?). Until I Die was much slower paced than Die for me, but with new characters, old nemeses, and relationship roadblocks, it was a good addition to the series nonetheless!

    Kate and Vincent are a bit at odds in this book. They're both trying to find a way to have a normal relationship where Vincent doesn't need to sacrifice himself so often...or...um, ever. That's all beautiful and great but then they start keeping things from each other and that is a BIG no-no in any and ALL relationships. Vamp-human relationships, mermaid-human relationships, human-human relationships annnnnd Revenant-human relationships. I really didn't understand why they went behind each other's backs when they're supposed to be totally and completely in love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)