Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa Walker

Unbreak My Heart
By: Melissa C. Walker
Released: May 22, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Sophomore year broke Clementine Williams’ heart. She fell for her best friend’s boyfriend and long story short: he’s excused, but Clem is vilified and she heads into summer with zero social life. Enter her parents’ plan to spend the summer on their sailboat. Normally the idea of being stuck on a tiny boat with her parents and little sister would make Clem break out in hives, but floating away sounds pretty good right now. Then she meets James at one of their first stops along the river. He and his dad are sailing for the summer and he’s just the distraction Clem needs. Can he break down Clem’s walls and heal her broken heart? Told in alternating chapters that chronicle the year that broke Clem’s heart and the summer that healed it, Unbreak My Heart is a wonderful dual love story that fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Susane Colasanti will flock to." (Summary from goodreads.com

Melissa Walker's Unbreak My Heart is the story of Clementine who is spending the summer living on a boat with her family. Clem is happy for the escape because she began to fall for her best friends boyfriend. While on the trip though she meets James who is also sailing for the summer with his dad.

I really enjoyed Unbreak My Heart and finished this book in one day. Clementine is leaving to spend the summer on a boat with her parents and little sister. She has had a tough year at school after falling for her best friends boyfriend. She is upset and feels really guilty for it all. Clem is pretty depressed about it but she's dealing with it all in her own way. I found it hard to really connect with her and thought she was a bit overdramatic. However she is a realistic character because she isn't perfect and she makes mistakes.

I love the relationship Clem shares with her little sister Olive though. It's evident how much Olive adores her big sister. While at dock, Clem meets James who is so sweet and cheerful. It was hard not to fall in love with him. He is traveling for the summer on a boat as well with his father. I definitely wanted more James in this story.

I have been getting into reading a lot more contemporary books lately and I found that this was a good and quick read. I struggled with some parts of the story because I felt that Clem was being way to hard on herself. However, I really enjoyed the second half of the book the most. I liked that the chapters alternated between the present and what happened in the past with Clementine's friendship. It helped move the plot along and piece together what happened. I also love that this book dealt with family and I completely loved Clementine's family. Overall, I enjoyed Unbreak My Heart, it's a sweet and realistic story about growing up.  

My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. ooh, great review! I wasn't the biggest fan of Small Town Sinners, but after reading all the positive reviews Unbreak My Heart has been getting, I may have to get a copy of it! :D

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I haven't read Small Town Sinners yet but I've heard a lot of mixed things.

      Delete
  2. Aww, I love when there is a cute sibling relationship in a book. I can't wait to read this one! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! I'm a big fan of sibiling relationships in books!

      Delete
  3. This sounds really interesting! Contemporary is my favorite genre, so I'll be sure to check it out.
    Thanks for the great review! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! Contemporary is becoming my new favorite genre!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I'm glad there are so many contemps coming out this summer! After a year of dystopian and paranormal, I'm really lovin' the contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I'm loving Contemporary too lately!

      Delete
  5. Great review! I really liked this book and I thought it was a great contemporary summer read! I'm glad you like it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! Glad to hear you liked it as well!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to dive into this one in the next few days!
    Lately I've been reading so many paranormal stories that it will be refreshing to get a taste of real life again with a contemp!

    Glad you enjoyed this one. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! It's nice to take a break from all the paranormal books every once in a while.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)