Monday, May 7, 2012

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Struck
By: Jennifer Bosworth
Released: May 8, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her. Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come. Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Jennifer Bosworth's Struck is the story of Mia who has survived getting struck by lightning several times. She is addicted to it but it's a danger to those around her. She thought it would be better in Los Angeles but then a major earthquake hits and the city turns to chaos. Two cults rise to power and both want Mia because they both believe she has an important role in the end of the world.

I really enjoyed Struck and finished this book in one day. Mia is an interesting character who is addicted to getting struck by lightning. She can feel the energy from a storm as it builds. I liked Mia but I found it difficult to completely connect with her. After the earthquake, her mother is injured and Mia must take care of her family. She wants to keep her family safe but then the Seekers and the Followers both want her to join them. She tries to do what she thinks is best for her mother and her little brother Parker.

Jeremy is the mysterious boy who shows up and wants to protect Mia. I really liked Jeremy but I wish I could have learned more about him. Another character I really liked was Katrina. She goes to school with Mia and it was difficult to determine whether or not she could be trusted. However, I also wish I got to know more about her.

The plot moves along very quickly and at times I did feel it was bit rushed. The book is really exciting from the first page though and I found it hard to put it down. It was a really interesting and different concept and Bosworth does an excellent job at explaining it all. I loved the setting in Los Angeles after the earthquake because it made the story feel realistic. Two cults, the Seekers and the Followers, come into power and just added to the chaos that the city was already in. The Prophet, who leads the Followers, was completely terrifying and infuriating. Reading about what he was doing was getting me so furious, but at the same time he gave me chills because he was so creepy. Some aspects of the ending were predictable for me but I still really enjoyed it. Overall I recommend Struck, it was an exciting and different story.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! :D I think I'll have to check this one out. I've heard some mixed things, and MC's that are difficult to connect with/characters who aren't given a lot of depth can be frustrating, but the trailer was badass and it seems you enjoyed the rest of it. The concept is pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! The concept was so great and definitely was my favorite part!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)