Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Silence by Michelle Sagara

Silence
By: Michelle Sagara
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Source: Finished Copy from Publisher
Purchase the Book: Amazon

It began in the graveyard. Ever since her boyfriend Nathan died in a tragic accident Emma had been coming to the graveyard at night. During the day she went through the motions at her prep school, in class, with her friends, but that’s all it was. But tonight was different. Tonight Emma and her dog were not alone in the cemetery. There were two others there—Eric, who had just started at her school, and an ancient woman who looked as though she were made of rags. And when they saw Emma there, the old woman reached out to her with a grip as chilling as death….” (Summary from goodreads.com)

Michelle Sagara's Silence is the story of Emma who visits the graveyard at night ever since her boyfriend, Nathan, died. However, one night her and her dog aren't the only ones in the cemetery. Eric, the new kid at school, is there with an old woman.

I really enjoyed Silence and finished it rather quickly. Emma recently lost her boyfriend and is handling the grief in the only way she can. She goes to school during the day and at night she goes to the graveyard with her dog. I loved the relationship she had with her dog Petal. I also love the relationship she shares with her friends because she watches out for them, especially Michael. Emma soon discovers though that she has the power to talk and touch the dead. She must make the choice whether or not she is going to help the dead.

Eric is the new mysterious kid in school and is in the graveyard one night while Emma is there. I really liked Eric but I wish I could of gotten to know more about him. There were several other great characters that I loved such as Allison and Michael, who are both Emma's best friends. I think my favorite character was Chase though. He is Eric's friend and I definitely wanted to know more about him. 

I was immediately hooked on this story and it held my attention until the end. Some parts did get very confusing for me though and I found it could get hard to follow at times. However as I kept reading, the more I enjoyed this book. I especially liked the second half of the story the most. The writing is beautiful and I like how this isn't just solely about Emma but about several other characters as well. I haven't read many books that involved necromancy mythology but I really enjoyed learning about it in this book and the interesting twist that Sagara uses. I will definitely be highly anticipating the next book in this series. Overall I think that Silence is a great start to what will sure be a great new series. I recommend Silence, it is an interesting and captivating paranormal story. 

My Rating:

14 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting. I just added it to my TBR a couple weeks ago. I haven't read anything with necromancy mythology either so I think I will enjoy reading about that. Yay that there is a dog to love! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Hope you enjoy it! Love the dog love! <3

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting book and I am excited to check it out. Plus I like that the writer is Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh this book sounds positively chilling (in a good way). It's the first time I heard of it. I also haven't read many books about necromancy so I might have to find out some more details about Silence. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! It is definitely an interesting and chilling story! I hope you like it if you check it out!

      Delete
  4. This sounds really good! I love books that are a bit on the creepy side!! This cover is so gorgeous and the premise is awesome!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I've seen this review on several of the blogs that I stalk today!!! I received this one a few weeks ago in the mail and haven't decided if I'll read it yet. I don't know why I was thinking that it seemed more middle-grade. Your review gives me promise about this one but I've seen mixed reviews. I might just end up doing a giveaway so someone that REALLY wants it can enjoy it.

    Magical Urban Fantasy Reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it if you do check it out!

      Delete
  6. This is the first time I have ever heard of this one. I also haven’t read many books on necromancy so I could definitely see this to be a new topic that might be fun to read into! I always like when books have a fresh take on paranormal. Thank you for your excellent review!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene! :) It definitely was a refreshing paranormal book for me.

      Delete
  7. This one sounds really good! I love when there are fun characters, especially when it's easy to love the side characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the sound of this book, and love that it's by a Canadian. I definitely need to pick this one up! Great review, can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm reading this one now! I'm only fifty or so pages into it, but I really like the writing style so far!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)