Monday, May 21, 2012

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Of Poseidon
By: Anna Banks
Released: May 22, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review 

"Emma and her friend Chloe are spending vacation in Florida. When Emma (literally) runs into a hot guy named Galen on the beach, little does she know he’s a prince of the Syrena. Galen and Emma both feel something strange – is it attraction? – and Galen suspects that Emma might well be the girl he’s heard of – a human who can communicate with fish. What follows is a deadly scene with a shark in which Galen witnesses Emma’s gifts. He must know more about her, and follows her back to New Jersey, and high school, to find out for sure if she’s the key to saving his kingdom. Soon, Emma can’t deny her feelings for him, but can’t explain them, either – and both she and Galen must learn more about where she comes from and what her powers are before they can trust one another and their feelings." (summary from goodreads.com)

Anna Banks' Of Poseidon is the story of Emma who is on vacation with her best friend when she accidently bumps into Galen. Galen is the prince of the Syrena, or mermaids. Galen and Emma can't deny that they instantly felt something when first met though. Galen also suspects that Emma is not just an ordinary when he sees that she is capable of communicating with fish.

I completely loved Of Poseidon! I couldn't stop reading this book once I started. The characters are well written and strongly developed. Emma is feisty and tough. She definitely has a bit of a temper at times. Emma is also hilarious too though and I loved her little inner rants.

Emma meets Galen by accident when she trips and falls into him while on vacation. Galen wants to know more about Emma though, especially after seeing her communicate with fish. Galen kind of creeped me out a bit at first but it only took a couple of chapters before I was in love with him. He doesn't know how to act like a human very well. I enjoyed the alternating chapters though because it not only helped move the plot along but, it also provided a deeper understanding into both Galen and Emma. I also loved Rayna and Toraf. Rayna is Galen's sister and she also has a bit of a temper. Toraf is Galen's best friend and I wish he was in the story even more.

The plot moves along quickly and immediately captured my attention from the first line. The history of the Syrena, or mermaids, was so interesting and I enjoyed how it was spread out through the story so that I never felt overwhelmed by the information. Of Poseidon ended on a cliffhanger that left me dying for more. While reading, I had some suspicions about what would happen next but I was definitely proven wrong. I know I have said it before but mermaids have easily become my new favorite genre and Of Poseidon just further proves it for me. I know that I will definitely be anxiously sitting on the edge of my seat while I wait for the sequel. I strongly recommend Of Poseidon! It is an exciting, romantic, and interesting story that you will find hard to put down.  

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I read the first couple of chapters and it didn't hook me at all. I hate that it was written in alternating chapters, with Galen's POVs being in third person present tense (that just drives me insane. third person present tense is like nails on a chalkboard to me.) but I can tell it's going to be a hit in the blogging world; it just wasn't a book for me. great review, dear. <3

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I totally understand about the alternating chapters. I'm a huge fan of that but I know that it isn't for everyone. :)

      Delete
  2. I liked the alternating POVs as well. I really felt like they were both the main characters instead of only one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While reading Of Poseidon I kept asking myself the same question, over and over again. "Why on earth is this the first time I'm reading a book about merfolk?!!" Vampires, witches, werewolves, shapeshifters, ghosts, and aliens, been there-done that. But this is the first time I've sought out and read a story with mermaids. Except, in Of Poseidon these partial fish-people are referred to as Syrena and actually don't particularly take kind to being called mermaids.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)