Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting

The Last Echo (The Body Finder #3)
By: Kimberly Derting
Released: April 17, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"In the end, all that's left is an echo...Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye...." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Kimberly Derting's The Last Echo picks up shortly after Desires of the Dead left off. Violet is now working with a group and using her gift to find the echos of the dead and the murderers. While working with the group, Violet discovers the body of a college girl and begins to look for the murderer known as "the collector."

First off The Body Finder series is one of my favorite series and I'm a huge fan of Kimberly Derting. With that said, I had extremely high expectations already set before starting this book and it was even better than I could have imagined. I loved the first two books but I think that The Last Echo is my favorite in this series.

I already love these characters and I have really enjoyed how they still continue to develop. Violet has always had this unique gift and at times it can control her life. However, she is using it to help out her new team and to find a murderer. It seemed as though she was finally embracing her gift in this book. I liked seeing Violet in a new environment and interacting with some new characters though. 

Jay is Violet's best friend and boyfriend and I completely love him too. The only negative thing that I can think of about this book is that there wasn't enough Jay. However, it wasn't until I finished the book that I realized he wasn't in this one as much as the previous books. I was a bit hesitant when I first heard Rafe would have a bigger role in this book because I still was unsure of him after Desires of the Dead. However, I was definitely won over by Rafe. I really liked finally learning more about him. I also loved meeting the team members; Gemma, Sara, and Krystal.

From the first page of The Last Echo I was hooked and I found it nearly impossible to put this book down. I had originally planned on trying to take my time with this book but I finished it in a few hours instead. Some parts of the plot were predictable while other parts were unexpected. I love Derting's writing and the alternating chapters between Violet and the killer. This killer has got to be the creepiest one yet. "The collector" definitely left me with chills and a bit paranoid for a few days. The last couple of chapters had me on the edge of my seat. The ending especially left me anxious for the next book. While I wait for the next book though, I will definitely be rereading this book again and again. I strongly recommend The Last Echo and The Body Finder series, it's an exciting and chilling page turner.

My Rating:

5 comments:

  1. OMG I loved this book too! I thought the parts from the murderer's perspective were the creepiest in the series so far! Great review :)

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when a series grabs you like this. I haven't read this series..but the fact that you love book three as much as the first two...tells me i need to remedy this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strongly recommend this series it is easily one of my favorites! I have reread the first two books several times already I just love the characters and the plot so much.

      Delete
  3. Violet is very much becoming a cool character. It is fun to watch her grow and learn how to deal with this life she has to live. Violet has this amazing, yet totally creepy, ability of being able to see imprints of the dead on murderers. I guess that is one way of being able to spot a psycho, right? In this book, we also get to know the other characters at the Center, including Sam, Sarah, Rafe, Gemma, and Krystal. Each character has their own unique ability, with some being completely different from Violet's ability. While other characters are able to "predict" the future, Violet's special ability only really lets her see things after they happen, which is why she needs the others to help sort things out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)