Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent #2)
By: Veronica Roth
Released: May 1, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so." (Summary from goodreads.com)

 

Veronica Roth's Insurgent is the sequel to Divergent and picks up immediately after the ending to Divergent. Tris is still trying to help the ones she loves while also dealing with her grief. The factions are also growing closer and closer to war.

I don't think I have the right words to express just how much I loved Insurgent. I had high expectations picking up this book because of how much I loved Divergent. Divergent was easily my favorite book from last year and I'm happy to say that I was not disappointed with Insurgent.

I already found Tris to be a complex character and I think that is one of the reasons why I love this character so much. Tris is struggling to deal with her grief in Insurgent. I kind of liked that she was struggling with everything that happened in Divergent and didn't immediately jump back to this tough and strong person. She is still that fearless and tough character, but I thought that seeing her struggle with her grief and guilt showed she had yet another side to her. It was a reminder that she is still human and not invincible. Tris is still easily one of my favorite female heroines of all times. Then there is Four who I already loved from Divergent and I think I love him even more now. I enjoyed learning more about him and seeing him in new environments. There are also so many other new and returning characters that I completely loved as well.

The plot picked up immediately from where Divergent left off. Even though I felt that so much happened in this book, I still wish it was longer. There were so many twists and surprises that I didn't expect and had me gasping. I'm a huge fan of Roth's writing and I love the world that she has created. I loved that the setting moved around and I especially enjoyed learning more about each faction.

I finished Insurgent in just a couple of hours and I didn't want to put this book down to even get a drink. I found myself getting completely lost in this strongly developed world with these characters and dying to know what would happen next. The ending was not what I expected at all and left me speechless. I still can't stop thinking about it all and plan on rereading this book again very soon. I will definitely be anxiously awaiting the next book in this series. I strongly recommend Insurgent, it's an exciting sequel that will keep you on the edge of your seat!

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Insurgent was amazing. I loved it. I also loved getting to know the other factions--especially Amity's compound. AMAZING. <3 great review, dear! :)

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I can't wait to read this book! I totally got it the day it came out but my mom snatched it up before I did! She loves this series too :) Great review!

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! That is so awesome that your mom loves this series too! Hope you love Insurgent when you get the chance to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. Same here! I am almost sad that it's already over...can't wait for the next book, though! Great review, by the way. I think you found exactly the right words :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this was a fantastic sequel. So many second books are lacking, but this one had such character growth!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting for this book and it did not disappoint. It had been so long since I had read Divergent, that I went to 'refresh' my memory and enjoyed it probably more than the first time. And then I was able to go right into this book and could not put it down. You want to keep reading to find out what is going to happen next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insurgent was AMAZING! I'm glad to see that you liked this one too. I can't wait for the next book, it's going to be epic. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. can I use this summary for my book report please?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)