Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Grasping At Eternity by Karen Amanda Hooper


Grasping At Eternity (Kindrily Series #1)
By: Karen Amanda Hooper
Released: May 21, 2012
Source: E-book from the author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"Leave it to Maryah Woodsen to break the one rule that will screw up eternity: Never erase your memories. Before entering this life, Maryah did the unthinkable—she erased. Now, at seventeen years old, she’s clueless that her new adoptive family has known her for centuries, that they are perpetually reincarnated souls, and that they have supernatural abilities. Oh, and she's supposed to love (not despise) Nathan, the green-eyed daredevil who saved her life. Nathan is convinced his family’s plan to spark Maryah's memory is hopeless, but his love for her is undying. After spending (and remembering) so many lifetimes together, being around an empty version of his soulmate is heart shattering. He hates acting like a stalker, but has no choice because the evil outcast who murdered Maryah in their last lifetime is still after her. While Maryah’s hunter inches closer, she and Nathan make assumptions and hide secrets that rip them further apart. Maryah has to believe in the magic within her, Nathan must have faith in the power of their love, and both need to grasp onto the truth before they lose each other forever—and discover just how lonely eternity can be." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Karen Amanda Hooper's Grasping At Eternity is the story of Maryah who erased her memories of her previous lives before beginning her current life. Now Maryah is living with her new adoptive family and has no recollection of the past they share. She also doesn't remember Nathan, her soulmate.

I really enjoyed Grasping At Eternity and finished it rather quickly. I loved Hooper's other book, Tangled Tides, so I was really excited to read another book by her. I love the way that Hooper writes because once again her story quickly hooked me in. Maryah was a really interesting character that I found that I connected with very easily. I especially found that I related to her in many ways. She not only finds herself living with a new adoptive family, but she is discovering that there is so much more to them. I like that her reactions to all of it were honest and realistic.

Nathan is Maryah's soul mate and he still remembers all of their previous lives together. I liked that the chapters alternated between Maryah and Nathan. It not only helped move the plot along but it helped develop the characters more deeply.

There were so many side characters that I really enjoyed getting to know. I especially loved Carson, Harmony, and Faith and wanted to know even more about their characters.

The concept of reincarnation that Hooper incorporates into the book is really interesting and different from anything that I have read before. It was a bit confusing at first, but as the story progressed it became much easier to understand. I really enjoyed how this story unraveled and I found it to be paced well. The plot was exciting and filled with twists. I especially was not expecting that ending. I'm really looking forward to the second book now. Overall I thought that Grasping At Eternity was an excellent start to what will sure be a great series!  

My Rating:

12 comments:

  1. ohhhhh this book sounds REALLY good!! I haven't heard of it before but I'll definitley have to pick it up now!!! Great review, now I'm looking forward to this one!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! You definitely should check it out!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Traci! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and review GAE. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You will def get to know Carson, Harmony, and Faith better in book 2. :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, great review! I have a copy of this one from the author and am looking forward to it! I had no idea it was told in alternative POVs, though, which makes me SO MUCH MORE excited! I love dual narration.

    Ashelynn @ gypsy book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I'm a huge fan of dual narration also. Hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a really interesting book. It is great to hear the word unique concept when relating to a book. Everything in the book world seems to have hit a rut and it is the same old same old so for there to be a new concept I'm all over giving that a try.

    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like a unique book with an interesting concept to it. I like the idea of Myrah not remembering her past lives and everyone else knows. Great review, definitely going to add this one to the TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of this one before but it sounds really cool! I'm really intrigued by books with reincarnation aspects, although I haven't read any yet! Thanks for this great review - I'm adding this to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I love books with reincarnation. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)