Thursday, May 31, 2012

Being Friends With Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

Being Friends With Boys
By: Terra Elan McVoy
Released: May 1, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Charlotte and Oliver have been friends forever. She knows that he, Abe, and Trip consider her to be one of the guys, and she likes it that way. She likes being the friend who keeps them all together. Likes offering a girl's perspective on their love lives. Likes being the behind-the-scenes wordsmith who writes all the lyrics for the boys' band. Char has a house full of stepsisters and a past full of backstabbing (female) ex-best friends, so for her, being friends with boys is refreshingly drama-free...until it isn't any more. When a new boy enters the scene and makes Char feel like, well, a total girl...and two of her other friends have a falling out that may or may not be related to one of them deciding he possibly wants to be more than friends with Char...being friends with all these boys suddenly becomes a lot more complicated." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Terra Elan McVoy's Being Friends With Boys is the story of Charlotte who has been friends with Oliver for years. She is happy with being a part of his band with Abe and Trip as manager and writer. However things get complicated when there is a new guy.

I loved Being Friends With Boys and finished this book in one sitting. I was really excited when I first heard about this book because it sounded just like a contemporary that I would love and it definitely turned out to be just that. Charlotte was a character I could easily relate to. She is friends with a lot boys and she is also the responsible one. Charlotte tries to take care of everything for everyone. She is also recently adjusting to living with a new stepmother and stepsisters while her sister goes away to college. I found that I really related to Charlotte because growing up most of my friends were guys as well. Ever since middle school, my best friend has been a guy and I just found hanging out with guys to involve a lot less drama. However, in this book there is quite a lot of drama.

There were so many great side characters in this book as well that just made me love this story even more. Oliver has been friends with Charlotte for years and their relationship can get complicated at times but they need each other. Then there is Trip who I absolutely loved and I loved his friendship with Charlotte. There were several other characters I really enjoyed as well such as Benji, Darby, and Gretchen. 

Being Friends With Boys is just my kind of contemporary story because it involved realistic and strongly developed characters who aren't perfect. It was easy to finish this book in one sitting because I was immediately drawn into the story. The plot is filled drama but there are also some hilarious and unexpected moments. There is more than just romance and friendship to this story but some family issues as well. I definitely didn't want this book to end because I wasn't ready to say goodbye to these characters just yet. Overall, I loved Being Friends With Boys and highly recommend it. 

My Rating:

14 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this one. Before your review, I hadn't actually heard of Being Friends with Boys, but now it's first on my tbr list. Lately I've been really into contemporary fiction. Well-developed characters are a must for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I have been on such a contemporary kick lately and that has been all I've read for the past few weeks. :)

      Delete
  2. I have to say, I wasn't really sure about this book, but your review has convinced me that maybe I should give it a try. It sounds really good. Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Hope you enjoy it if you do decide to read it! :)

      Delete
  3. I wasn't sure either - usually I can't resist a good contemporary, but the cover doesn't really appeal to me. If it's that good, though, I'll add it to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigod. I really want this book! I've been on the lookout for more cute, contemporary books and this definitely fits the bill. Great review! You've definitely sold me on the book ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've officially added it to my Amazon cart so once I get my next paycheck that baby's headed my way!!! Haha.

      Delete
  5. Great review! I've been looking forward to this since I first heard about it because I really relate to Charlotte, too - I was definitely friends with mostly boys (so much less drama!) and it sounds a lot like who I was/am. I'm glad it was everything and more to you! It just came in for me at my library and I'm doing everything I can to resist reading it right now since I have so many others to read before it haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I totally cheated and snuck this one in even though I have a big tbr pile but I couldn't resist. That is awesome that you totally relate to Charlotte too. I definitely recommend you check it out though. Hope you love it when you get time to read it. :)

      Delete
  6. I loved this book! Great review. I think I want to reread it soon! ~dixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dixie! Glad you loved it too. I definitely want to reread it again soon! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this AMAZING review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed Charlotte and all of her friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)