Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil
By: Wendy Higgins
Released: May 1, 2012
Source: ARC Borrowed by Anna Literary Exploration
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences? This is life for sons and daughters of fallen angels in Sweet Evil. Tenderhearted Southern girl, Anna Whitt, was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage, and her will-power is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna. A cross-country trip forces Anna to face the reality that hope and love are not options for her kind. Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?" (Summary from goodreads.com)


Wendy Higgins' Sweet Evil is the story of Anna who has the special gift of being able to feel the emotions of other people. She can't deny that she feels a pull towards evil at times though. However, Anna's world changes when she meet Kaidan and she discovers the truth about her parents.

I completely loved Sweet Evil and I devoured this book in two days. I had high expectations already when I started this book and it was still even better than I was expecting. Each character is interesting and strongly developed. Anna has a unique gift where she can not only feel the emotions of others, but she can also see colors that represent another person's mood. She is generally a good girl and helps others. However, she has a pull towards evil during some moments that she doesn't understand. 

Kaidan is the typical bad boy but maybe even worse and I immediately fell in love with him. It was hard not to crush on Kaidan though because he is a hot drummer with a British accent. However, there is a lot more to him than just appearances. I also loved his friends Kopano, Blake, Ginger, and Marna.

The plot captivated me from beginning to end. I loved learning about the history of the angels, fallen angels, and the nephilim. The concept of the fallen angels was throughly explained. I especially found all of the jobs that the fallen angels are given to be interesting. I also really enjoyed all of the references to Milton's Paradise Lost. There are so many moments of Sweet Evil that I loved and I already can't wait to reread this book again. Higgins created a fascinating world that I am already anxious to read more about in the next book. I highly recommend Sweet Evil, you will find it hard to put this book down!

My Rating:


15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! The cover is gorgeous and the story sounds so intriguing. I've been hearing a lot about Kaidan and the rest of the characters sound interesting as well. I'll have to pick up a copy as soon as it comes out. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! Yes I also love this cover! I hope you love it when you read it! :)

      Delete
  2. Did I see the words drummer and British accent?! As if I needed any more reasons to be excited for this book! Can't wait for my pre-order to arrive! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara! Haha yes Kaidan is so swoon worthy! The moment he was described I was like oh boy! I hope you love it!

      Delete
  3. I love your review Traci! Sweet Evil had the right amounts of everything for me. Kaidan is at the top of my list of swoon-worthy YA characters. I LOVED him. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ezmirelda! He is definitely at top of my list too now! :)

      Delete
  4. I'm really glad you liked this one! :D While I was iffy on certain things, I still enjoyed it, and Kaidan is . . . well, he's rather attractive, I must say. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! Your review made several good points I didn't really think of so when I reread it again, I will definitely think about what you said.

      Delete
  5. ooh, great review! I am really looking forward to this one! Just need some money for next week's releases! (SO MANY BOOKS!)

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I know what you mean there are just so many amazing books coming out Tuesday! I think I need a shopping cart to take to the bookstore with me. :)

      Delete
  6. wonderful review! i haven't read this book yet but i'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you loved this one! I've been waiting for this book for what seems like centuries, so I simply *cannot wait* to get my hands on it! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I hope you love it when you get it!

      Delete
  8. Ahhhh, you guys make it so hard for me, haha. I've read a couple of positive reviews about this one today and now I really can't wait :(

    Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)