Thursday, April 19, 2012

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

 
Social Suicide (Deadly Cool #2)
By: Gemma Halliday
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source: Borrowed ARC from Anna @ Literary Exploration
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting. Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide. I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos..." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Gemma Halliday's Social Suicide is the sequel to Deadly Cool. Hartley is now working for the school newspaper which means she is working with Chase now too. Hartley is writing up an article on possible Homecoming Queen Sydney when she finds her dead in her pool. Sydney was electrocuted while tweeting and Hartley is set on finding out who the killer is.

Halliday does it again with this fantastic and hilarious sequel. I went into reading Social Suicide with some pretty high expectations after loving Deadly Cool so much and this book definitely lived up to it. Hartley is such a great character. She is funny but very determined. She doesn't back down easily even when she finds herself in some pretty dangerous situations.

I was thrilled to see bad boy and newspaper editor Chase again. I think Hartley and Chase make an excellent team once again. I was also excited to see some more of Hartley's best friend Sam in this book. Sam is so funny as well and I was happy to see that she was more involved in Social Suicide.

I couldn't put this book down and finished it in one sitting. The story picks right up immediately so it was easy to get into this book. The plot is suspenseful and had me guessing on who was the murderer until the very end. I was also completely laughing out loud at some parts of this book. Although this story can get serious at moments, it is also a light and fun read. I think Halliday does an excellent job balancing it. I also love the language she uses because it is how teenagers speak. I strongly recommend Social Suicide, it is a fun mystery with great characters.  

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy it lived up to your expectations. I LOOOOOVED Deadly Cool and am SOOOO excited to read this one! Yes!!! Love how fun it is! And whoa... Chase! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you liked it! I have been waiting and waiting for this book ever since I read Deadly Cool. Hartley is one of my all time Favorite characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked this! I really, REALLY need to try this series. I've quite honestly heard nothing but awesome things. You really don't see a lot of funny murder mysteries out there, so that alone would make me want these. Plus, an awesome sequel is always fabulous--oftentimes, middle books are a bit mehhh, so it's such a pleasant surprise when they live up to the first installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I definitely recommend this series it is so good and fun! I love it!

      Delete
  4. I really, really, really can't wait to read this book! I love the first one and you make me want to have this one in front of me right now!! I am so ready to have a lot of fun with this book when it comes out :D

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)