Thursday, April 26, 2012

Scary School by Derek the Ghost

Scary School
By: Derek the Ghost
Released: June 21, 2011
Source: E-book from the author
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review 

"You think your school's scary? Get a load of these teachers:  "Ms. Fang," an 850-year-old vampire "Dr. Dragonbreath," who just might eat you before recess "Mr. Snakeskin"--science class is so much more fun when it's taught by someone who's half zombie "Mrs. T"--break the rules and spend your detention with a hungry "Tyrannosaurus rex" Plus  Gargoyles, goblins, and Frankenstein's monster on the loose The world's most frighteningly delicious school lunch  And  The narrator's an eleven-year-old ghost  Join Charles "New Kid" Nukid as he makes some very Scary friends--including Petunia, Johnny, and Peter the Wolf--and figures out that Scary School can be just as funny as it is spooky" (Summary from goodreads.com)


In Scary School, Derek the Ghost describes what his school is like. Derek introduces his scary friends and teachers who all attend Scary School. He also narrates what a school day is like.  

I don't read much middle grade books but I made the exception for this one because I thought it just sounded really cute and fun. I was definitely right and finished this book rather quickly in one sitting. Derek the Ghost narrates every chapter with a different character at Scary School. There are so many fun and different characters introduced such as Mrs. T, Mrs. Fang, Charles the new kid, Nurse Hairymoles, Principle Headcrucher, and many more. I loved learning about them all and I loved their names.

Another part of this book that I loved were the many illustrations. Some of the characters were a bit difficult to imagine so it was fun to have a picture to go along with them. The pictures helped bring the story and the characters to life. I also enjoyed how the chapters were short and broken up by character. In each chapter we met a new character or read about a specific event at school. The chapters I definitely enjoyed the most were the ones about lunch, the ghoul games, and Halloween at Scary School. Some parts made me laugh so I enjoyed having a light and different book to read in between what I normally find myself reading. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys middle grade books that are fun and quick reads!

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I've just started reading more middle grade and this looks super cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks super cute and fun. I read MG on occasion. My daughter is 3 1/2 so I am always looking for books she might enjoy when she is a little older. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I definitely recommend this one then! :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book a little while ago, and really liked it! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)