Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium
By: Lauren Oliver
Released: February 28, 2012
Source: Purchase E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do. The old life is dead. But the old Lena is dead too. I buried her. I left her beyond a fence, behind a wall of smoke and flame. Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, ' Delirium.' This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Lauren Oliver's Pandemonium is the sequel to Delirium and picks up where it had left off. Lena has escaped and left her old life behind, including her best friend Hana and Alex. She tries to forget her past as she meets a new group of people who teach her how to survive.

I completely loved Delirium so I was highly anticipating Pandemonium and it was even better than my expectations. Lena has changed a great deal between the course of Delirium and Pandemonium. She has been forced to leave her old life and start all over again. I actually liked Lena even more in Pandemonium. She is tough now and has a bit more of a darker outlook on life.

There are several new and interesting characters introduced throughout the book. I especially liked Raven. I was really interested in learning more about Raven's story and I liked the small glimpses into her life. She is tough and tries to teach Lena how to survive. Another new character that I unexpectedly fell in love with was Julian. I wasn't too sure what to make of him at first but it only took a couple of chapters before I just connected with his character. I do admit I missed Alex quite a bit though, especially during the beginning.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't like Pandemonium after reading some more summaries about it but that was definitely not the case for me. I found that I took my time reading Pandemonium because it was a book I knew I didn't want to finish immediately. I still wish I didn't finish it so fast, especially after reading the ending. I liked that the chapters alternated between "then" and "now" which I felt helped move the plot along. The "now" chapters were exciting and suspenseful while the "then" chapters answered my lingering questions. I loved the new setting in the Wilds and in New York City. I love New York City so it was creepy to read about what it looked like in this dystopian setting. The plot did get somewhat predictable towards the end but it still left me breathless. The ending leaves off on a pretty big cliffhanger so I'm extremely anxious for the next book. I am a big fan of Oliver's writing and Pandemonium does not disappoint. I strongly recommend Pandemonium, it is an exciting sequel filled with interesting new characters. 

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. I loved Delirium, it was one of my favorite books of last year. I have Pandemonium but I haven't read it yet, and clearly I need to soon. I love Alex but I've been hearing a lot of good things about Julian so I can't wait to see if I fall for him as well. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! Delirium was one of my favorite books last year as well. I am a huge Alex fan but I just couldn't resist Julian. :) Hope you love it when you get the time to read it!

      Delete
  2. I felt the same way about Julian! I was so worried to like another boy because I loved Alex and was missing him, but I found myself falling for Julian too! Can't wait to see what will happen in Requiem! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes can't wait for Requiem! I was so nervous about Julian because I kept reading reviews discussing him and I was so nervous I would hate the book because of it but that was definitely not the case.

      Delete
  3. I really loved both Delirium and Pandemonium. When I started I wasn't so sure about the "then" and "now" chapters, but I really ended up loving it! I wanted to throw the book across the room because of that ending. I really can't wait to see what happens in Requiem. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! I thought the same thing at first about the then and now because I had read some reviews of people who hated that but I thought it worked really well.

      Delete
  4. ooh, great review! I have this one staring at me, just waiting to be picked up... but must wait! your review doesn't help. I want to read it right NOW! also, I'm leery of Julian. everybody falls in love with him and I'm like "WHAT ABOUT ALEX?!"

    clearly I need to read Pandemonium right now.

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I felt the same way when I kept reading reviews. I keep screaming no no no that will not happen I love Alex too much. But oh Julian <3 Hope you love Pandemonium and Julian when you read it!

      Delete
  5. I was a bit nervous about it too, but it was so good!! I absolutely loved it, and OMG the ending!! I thought I would die!! Fantastic review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Ahh yes that ending was so amazing but I need the next book like right now! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome review! :D I've been debating whether or not I should give this one a shot, considering certain spoilers I've read, but I think I might have to, with all the positive reviews pouring in. I'll at least see what I think of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)