Friday, April 20, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules
By: Julie Kagawa
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules is the story of Allison who lives in a world controlled by vampires. Allie despises the vampires and lives in the Fringe. She must trade, beg, and steal food to survive. However one night she is faced with a life changing decision and Allie becomes a vampire. She must learn a whole new set of rules in order to survive. Allie is forced to leave though and she soon finds herself pretending to be human as she joins a group of humans on a journey.

I loved The Immortal Rules and stayed up all night reading it. The characters are strongly developed and I easily grew attached to them. Allie is such an awesome protagonist. She is tough and strong but she is also flawed. I still found myself rooting for her even when she may not have made the best decisions. She struggles to learn the new rules but she doesn't give up. Allie will do what she must in order to survive, even when that meant becoming a vampire.

Allie encounters several other characters throughout the story that I loved learning about, such as Kanin, Caleb, Ruth, and Jeb. While Allie is traveling with a group of humans, she meets Zeke who I instantly fell in love with. Zeke is selfless and will do anything to help others.

The plot moved along quickly for me and I wish the book was even longer. I loved the setting and learning about it. Kagawa does an excellent job building this dark and terrifying world. The vampires control everything and treat the humans as their slaves. There are even the creepy rabid vampires who live outside the city. I find Kagawa's writing to be completely addictive and it took a lot for me to tear myself away from this book for even a few minutes. I just wanted to know what would happen next to Allie. The ending left me dying for more and I can't wait to see where this story will go next.

My Rating:

6 comments:

  1. Great reivew! I've only read great things about this book and I have it waiting for my on my Nook! I need to get to it :) Thanks for sharing!

    Crystal @ Elegantly Bound Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! Yes definitely recommend reading it soon! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review!! I haven't read many vampire books but this is definitely one I will be checking out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I took a break from reading vampire books for a while but I definitely loved this one!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I definitely enjoyed this one. :D Allie was such a badass. I loved that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! Love Allie, she is so awesome! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)