Thursday, March 15, 2012

Whispering Hills by Taryn Browning

Whispering Hills
By: Taryn Browning
Released: March 19, 2012 
Source: E-book from SupaGurlBooks Tour
*A copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review

"For as long as she can remember, 17-year-old Alexis Forbes can hear the thoughts of others. Most recently, she is disturbed by the dark, unfamiliar voice of a frightening killer: callous, cunning, charismatic…and dead.  She hears his every sinister thought. But she can’t tell anyone. No one would believe her. Alexis is suddenly being haunted by a terrifying past she doesn’t remember, and a ghost with a serious score to settle. Even Chance, the gorgeous new guy she’s falling for, has his own ghostly secret. He’s definitely not like any guy she’s ever met. Alexis soon discovers she has a connection to the dead and it runs much deeper than she could ever imagine. And if the sociopathic entity has his way, she’ll finally be sentenced to the fate she escaped thirteen years ago" (summary from goodreads.com)

Taryn Browning's Whispering Hills is the story of Alexis who can hear the thoughts of others around her. Lately there has been one person in particular whose dark and disturbing thoughts she has been hearing. She has always had to keep what she knows a secret though because of the fear that everyone would think she is crazy. However, Alexis soon learns that there is so much more to her gift.

I really enjoyed Whispering Hills and finished this book in one sitting. Alexis is an interesting protagonist who has the ability to hear the thoughts of others around her. She is somewhat of a loner though and doesn't trust anyone with her secret except her sister Brooke. Alexis is also tough and will do anything for the people she cares about. When she begins to hear the thoughts of a killer, she even tries to find him or her.

Alexis then meets Chance who is the new boy at school. Chance is mysterious though and has many of his own secrets. I was unsure of him for a while but, as the story progressed he definitely grew on me. There several other characters that I really enjoyed as well such as Gabriel and Summer. I loved Summer who is a girl at school that also has a special ability. Summer was hilarious and she easily became my favorite character.

I haven't read many books involving ghosts but I really enjoyed how Browning incorporated them into the story and some parts were so creepy. This is the second book I have read by Browning and I really enjoy her writing. The plot flows at a good pace and I can instantly get wrapped up in the story. Although at times I was beginning to suspect what would happen next, there were still a couple of shocking twists. The ending was especially a surprising twist that I never saw coming and left me on the edge of my seat. I definitely will continue to read more of Browning's work in the future. I strongly recommend Whispering Hills, it is a mysterious and exciting story.

My Rating:


6 comments:

  1. Hi Traci, thank you for the wonderful review and for being part of the tour! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I like the sound of this one. :D I've always been a fan of mind-reading stories, and there aren't enough ghost stories in YA today. I shall have to check this out when it releases. Is it only releasing as an e-book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is only available as an e-book on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. It is really good though! I also highly recommend checking out Taryn Browning's other book Dark Seeker, I love it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lexie, thanks so much for your comment! :) It's now available in paperback on Amazon. So wonderful to meet you! <3

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)