Friday, March 16, 2012

Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard

Wanderlove
By: Kirsten Hubbard
Released: March 13, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Are you a Global Vagabond? No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path. Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward. But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back. Kirsten Hubbard lends her artistry to this ultimate backpacker novel, weaving her drawings into the text. Her career as a travel writer and her experiences as a real-life vagabond backpacking Central America are deeply seeded in this inspiring story." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Kirsten Hubbard's Wanderlove is the story of Bria who signs up for a tour across Central America. However, the tour Bria signs up for is with a group of middle-aged adults. When Bria meets backpackers Rowan and Starling, she takes the opportunity to join them instead. Bria and Rowan are both trying to escape their pasts as they travel through villages and islands.

I loved Wanderlove and it easily became one of my favorite books of the year. Once I started this story I couldn't put it down. Wanderlove is a well written story with strongly developed characters. Bria wants to be independent and decides to go on the trip to Central America. She is trying to escape her past and an ex-boyfriend as well. I enjoyed how Bria's story unraveled and how I learned more and more about her past as the story progressed. 

Rowan has been a backpacker for years. He has a reputation of a bad boy but he is trying to change that. In an effort to change, he has developed his own philosophy about moving forward. Starling is Rowan's sister and is also a backpacker. Starling cares a great deal for her brother and tries her best to look out for him. Both Rowan and Starling were really interesting characters and I loved getting to know more about them.

I have been looking forward to reading Wanderlove for months and I was not disappointed at all. There is so much more to this story then just going on an exciting adventure to a new place but it is also about discovering yourself and coming to terms with your past. Hubbard's writing is beautiful and I loved the drawings that were incorporated into the story. I was immediately captivated by the story from the first page and the plot flows at a steady pace straight to the end. Traveling all around the world has always been one of my dreams so I really enjoyed reading about the villages and islands that Bria visited. I strongly recommend Wanderlove, it is one story you won't want to miss!

My Rating:

11 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm excited now,I've had this galley for a while, and I'm so happy that it's good!

    <3 Britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read this one as I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. I really love books that are about discovering yourself so I'm sure I'll love this one. I also enjoy books with travel and illustrations so that's a big plus as well. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! You will definitely love this book then! :)

      Delete
  3. I really really loved Wanderlove, too. VERY well-written and just amazing. Great review. :)

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! This book was great! I would've said to get a hardback version since it's easier to see the wonderful drawings that way, but oh well, haha. Bria and Rowan were really likable characters. So happy to hear you loved this book, Traci! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so mad I went to two different book stores when it came out looking for a hardcover since I had a feeling I would love it but couldn't find it anywhere so I settled on buying an e-book since I was dying to read it. I definitely plan on buying a copy though since I loved it so much!

      Delete
  5. Everyone is saying such wonderful things about this book. I was honestly going to pass it up but I think I'm going to have to re-think that decision.

    I'm so glad you loved it and that it was more than what you expected. Thanks for the great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I definitely recommend checking this one out if you find the time.

      Delete
  6. AHHH! So excited for this one. :D I've seen so many lovely reviews for it, and the excerpts Kirsten read aloud for the release day were fantastic. I can't wait to read it. Also, I'm a big big fan of sibling relationships in books, so I suspect I will love that.

    Awesome, awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! I hope when you find the time to read it, you love it just as much! :)

      Delete
  7. I think the best part of Wanderlove was the traveling and the experience of being in an area that I don't read about. Usually the books I read that involve traveling take place in Europe.

    LOL I liked Rowan as a romantic lead, but he could get a little bit annoying.

    Irene (Pocket Knife Planet)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)