Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Immortal City by Scott Speer

Immortal City
By: Scott Speer
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Source: ARC from NYCC
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Jackson Godspeed is the hottest young Angel in a city filled with them. He's days away from becoming a full Guardian, and people around the world are already competing for the chance to be watched over by him. Everyone's obsessed with the Angels and the lucky people they protect - everyone except for Madison Montgomery. Maddy's the one girl in Angel City who doesn't breathlessly follow the Angels on TV and gossip blogs. When she meets Jackson, she doesn't recognize him. But Jackson is instantly captivated by her, and against all odds the two fall in love. Maddy is swiftly caught up in Jackson's scene, a world of glamour, paparazzi - and murder. A serial killer is on the loose, leaving dead Angels' wings for the police to find on the Walk of Fame. Even the Guardians are powerless to protect themselves in the face of this threat … and this time it's up to Maddy to save Jackson." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Scott Speer's Immortal City is the story of Jackson Godspeed who is the hottest and most popular Angel in the city. He is preparing to become a Guardian when he meets Maddy. Maddy is one of the few girls who doesn't pay attention to the fame surrounding the angels. Once they meet, Jackson can't seem to get Maddy out of his head. Soon Maddy finds herself involved not only in the world of angels and fame, but there is also a murderer on the loose.

I really enjoyed Immortal City and finished it rather quickly. I enjoyed how the chapters alternated between Jackson and Maddy because it contrasted how different their lives were. Jackson is one of the most famous Angels in the city but there is so much more to him. He really wants to become a Guardian Angel and doesn't care for the fame that comes along with it. Jackson definitely grew on me as the story progressed.

Maddy was an interesting character who also grew on me as the story progressed. She lives with her Uncle and works in his diner. She doesn't care about the fame surrounding the Angels unlike practically everyone else in her school. I also really like the relationship between Maddy and Jackson and how it developed.

What definitely made me really like this book though was the interesting world of the Angels that Speer creates. I love the whole idea that the Angels are treated like the celebrities in Hollywood, or Angel City. It is all described in great detail and I felt like I was completely a part of this world too. The plot was paced well and captivating. I found it hard to put it down because there was a good balance of action and romance. However, at times I felt that it would get a bit too predictable. I still really enjoyed the ending though and I am looking forward to the next book.

My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. ooh, I had no idea it was a dual POV book! I love dual POV. :) Makes me want to read this book a little bit more, since I freaking love the premise and this review! Definitely going to pick this one up as soon as I can. :) great review!

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashelynn! I hope you enjoy it! I am a big fan of dual POV also so I really liked how this was done. :)

      Delete
  2. First off: SO EXCITED. *-*

    And second off, lovely review. :D This one sounds like a quick, entertaining read, which is always welcome between the really intense ones. I do love the concept of angels as celebrities, known and revered; I think there's so much potential there, and it's not one I've ever seen before. Interested to see where he goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! Yay so excited for you to read it!

      Delete
  3. I'm so so so excited for this book! Great review. Predictability is always a bit of a downer but I want to see the whole famous angel thing. :D I can't wait~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Yeah the whole famous thing was so good so I ended up not minding the predictability all that much. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. So excited to read this book. It sounds like such an interesting take on the whole angel thing.
    I'm definitely going to be picking this book up as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! Yes the interesting take on the angels is probably my favorites out of all the angel books I have read.

      Delete
  5. This book was amazing, couldnt put it down! It was really refreshing and contained just the right amount of everthing, so I ate it up in less than a day! Really great review, loved hearing your POV on this book, and as you say, we can only eagerly await an amazing sequel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cecilia! I am so happy to hear you loved Immortal City! It was definitely, as you put it, a refreshing take on angels. Yay so excited for the sequel! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)