Thursday, March 1, 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter

Goddess Interrupted
By: Aimee Carter
Released: March 27, 2012
Source: Netgalley
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it. Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans. As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future. Henry’s first wife, Persephone." (Summary from goodreads.com)


Aimee Carter's Goddess Interrupted is the sequel to The Goddess Test and picks up shortly after where The Goddess Test ended. Kate is becoming Queen of the Underworld but she feels more alone than ever. Henry is keeping his distance and she is fighting for his affection. Then when Henry is taken, she must go to Persephone for help.

I enjoyed Goddess Interrupted much more than The Goddess Test. The characters are developed much more strongly. Kate survived the tests and is now becoming the Queen of the Underworld. However, Kate is beginning to doubt herself and Henry. I admit it bothered me a bit that Kate was constantly doubting herself through the story. On the other hand though these were concerns that I had while reading The Goddess Test so I was happy that they were finally being acknowledged. I also admire how she will do anything for the ones that she loves. 

I have very mixed feeling about Henry in this book. He was so distant and for most of the story I was confused on what his motives were. I was thrilled to see the return of Ava and James though. Persephone was also finally introduced. I had been expecting to hate her but she definitely grew on me as the story progressed.

The plot was exciting and held my attention the entire time. It was not what I was expecting at all and there were plenty of surprises. I thought there was much more action than there was in The Goddess Test. Some moments completely frustrated me but in a good way. I would get so lost in the story that I found myself in the world that Carter created and feeling Kate's emotions. I loved that the setting took place in the Underworld instead of the mansion. I am a huge Greek mythology fan and I love the spin that Carter puts on it. I especially liked how the Titans were introduced. I definitely enjoyed the last few chapters the most. The last chapter was filled with several shocking twists that left me speechless. The ending also leaves on a major cliffhanger so I will be highly anticipating Goddess Inheritance to see what will happen next. I strongly recommend Goddess Interrupted, it is an exciting and interesting story.

My Rating:

10 comments:

  1. dude, RIGHT? GI was so... intense and I really liked it a lot more than TGT, too. That ending killed me, though! I was like "JIGGA WHAA? WHERE'S THE REST OF IT?!" Sigh. In Goddess Inheritance, that's where it is.

    Also... I still really love Henry. Especially near the end when they started talking again. I'm just a Henry girl, though.

    great review! it makes me want to reread GI. :)

    Ashelynn @ Gypsy Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I definitely loved Goddess Interrupted more. I really wanted to love Henry still, I was so torn! But yeah definitely towards the end I began to like him more but just still not as much as I did in Goddess Test. Thanks Ashelynn!

      Delete
  2. I missed book one..but you have me intrigued..going to ck it out. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't read The Goddess Test, but it's on my list to get to in the next week or two. I have seen a few reviews on this and they are all mixed. I am going into this series with no expectations at all since I have heard many different things about it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I definitely liked Goddess Interrupted more than The Goddess Test. There are just some minor things that bother me but I love the twist on the mythology!

      Delete
  4. I really did not like this one, but I'm glad you got some enjoyment from it! I'm not too happy about the cliffhanger, but I AM curious to see how Aimee Carter continues that plot line in the next book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! Thats too bad to hear. I definitely wasn't expecting that ending so I am really curious where the plot will go next as well.

      Delete
  5. I was really disappointed with this book since I loved loved loved the first book. But I'm still intrigued about what's going to happen in book 3. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad to hear that you didn't like this one as much. Definitely looking forward to see where Carter will take this story next though. Thanks Erin!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)