Friday, February 24, 2012

Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: February 21, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane. Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable. Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in. Captivated. Lured. Loved. Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Jennifer L. Armentrout's Shadows is a short story set before Obsidian takes place. The short story is about Daemon and Dee's other brother Dawson. Dawson never expected to fall in love with Bethany but he couldn't stay away from her.

I loved Shadows and read it in one sitting. It is a bit long for a short story but I definitely wish that it was even longer. I loved Obsidian and I was so excited to read even more about these characters. I really enjoyed getting to know more about Dawson. He is a bit different from his brother Daemon and his sister Dee. I couldn't help but develop a huge crush on him as well though. He would do anything to protect Bethany. I am already in love with Daemon so I was thrilled to read even more with him. I also loved learning more about Adam and I am already hoping to see more of him in Onyx.

For a short story, I feel like a great deal happened but it didn't feel overwhelming at all. I was laughing out loud at some moments while during other moments my heart was breaking for these characters. I loved finally learning about the story between Dawson and Bethany, which was mentioned several times in Obsidian. Many of the lingering questions I had about Daemon and Dee's past were answered. I also loved to connect how this all affected Daemon and Dee. It explains so much about both of their characters. Shadows was a great way to help hold me over until Onyx, the sequel to Obsidian, is released. However, I admit I am extremely anxious to read what will happen next. I strongly recommend both Shadows and Obsidian. The Lux series is not only just exciting, romantic, and captivating but you won't be able to put these books down.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! I love prequels to books. I haven't read Obsidian yet, but it's on my TBR list. Ahh! I can't wait to read this series, thanks for the great review! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! It was so great and I definitely highly recommend Obsidian. I love these books!

      Delete
    2. I just bought Obsidian and Shadows on my kindle! I can't wait to read them. Thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
    3. Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm usually not a huge fan of when the author goes back to write a short prequel to the series. Sometimes it is like why didn't you just write this into the story if it was important enough! This one does sound like a rare good one though and I do love Jennifer's writing so I might just check it out.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I completely know what you mean. Im usually a bit hesitant about reading prequels too but Shadows was so good!

      Delete
  3. Dawson is this strong, fierce, determine guy that reminds me so much of Daemon without the sucky attitude. I fell fast and hard. He's attracted to Bethany from the start but it takes time for them to fall hard, which I appreciated. What I really, really enjoyed was how Dawson was bold and confident with their relationship. I loved how they spend time together. I LOVED their first kiss, which.... oh just read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)