Monday, February 13, 2012

Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters by Meredith Zeitlin

Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
By: Meredith Zeitlin
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Source: E-book from G.P. Putnam’s Sons
Purchase the Book: Amazon
*A copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

"Kelsey Finkelstein is fourteen and FRUSTRATED. Every time she tries to live up to her awesome potential, her plans are foiled – by her impossible parents, her annoying little sister, and life in general. But with her first day of high school coming up, Kelsey is positive that things are going to change. Enlisting the help of her three best friends — sweet and quiet Em, theatrical Cass, and wild JoJo — Kelsey gets ready to rebrand herself and make the kind of mark she knows is her destiny. Things start out great - her arch-nemesis has moved across the country, giving Kelsey the perfect opportunity to stand out on the soccer team and finally catch the eye of her long-time crush. But soon enough, an evil junior’s thirst for revenge, a mysterious photographer, and a series of other catastrophes make it clear that just because KELSEY has a plan for greatness… it doesn’t mean the rest of the world is in on it. Kelsey’s hilarious commentary throughout her disastrous freshman year will have you laughing out loud—while being thankful that you’re not in her shoes, of course…" (Summary goodreads.com)

Meredith Zeitlin's Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters is the story of Kelsey as she starts her freshman year of high school. Kelsey wants this to be her year finally. However, everything doesn't go as she plans and it leads to several embarrassing moments.

I loved Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters. This book was absolutely hilarious!  Kelsey is a frustrated and dramatic teenager to say the least. She fights with her parents quite often and can't stand her annoying little sister. She wants it to be the year where she stands out and finally captures the attention of Jordan, who she has been crushing on for years. At times I wanted to scream at Kelsey for being shallow and caring about the smallest things that shouldn't matter. However, then I would take a moment to remember that I was overreacting over the same exact stuff at that age too.

I loved Kelsey's friends JoJo, Cassidy, and Em. I loved the relationship that they all shared but of course there was some drama involved. I enjoyed the drama though because it made their friendship realistic and that is just what high school is like.

Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters was so hilarious that I had to put it down several times to control my laughter. Once I started this book I finished it fairly quickly. Some of the situations that Kelsey found herself in were so embarrassing that I even felt my own face turning red for her. This story brought back so many memories of my own high school experience too. I admit I even found myself in several situations similar to Kelsey just only a few years ago. Zeitlin wrote an excellent and realistic depiction of high school. I highly recommend Freshman Year and Other Unnatural Disasters! Not only is it a hilarious and fun read but, it is also a great story about growing up.  

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I love fun books. I have been reading some really dark or emotional books lately. I really need to read a nice fun one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I know what you mean I have read so many dark books lately and this was such a refreshing break!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this one as well. I really liked Kelsey and related to her well considering I went through some similar situations when I was her age :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I am glad you enjoyed it too! I definitely agree I liked that I was able to connect to Kelsey.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh I'm glad to hear this is a good one, I have a copy of it on my iPad so I'm excited to read it soon :) Great review, as always :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! Can't wait to hear what you think!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)