Monday, February 27, 2012

Fever by Lauren DeStefano

Fever
By: Lauren DeStefano
Released: February 16, 2012
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind. Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness. The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary. In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Lauren DeStefano's Fever is the sequel to Wither and picks up right where Wither left off. Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion but they are now on the run. Rhine wants to get back home to Manhattan and find her twin brother. However, Vaughn is following Rhine and plans to take her back to the mansion.

I loved Fever and may have enjoyed it even more than Wither, which I already completely loved. Rhine and Gabriel are on the run from the mansion and find themselves in several dangerous situations. I really enjoyed how both characters continue to develop. It was interesting to see them in a new environment this time. I also enjoyed how the relationship between Rhine and Gabriel continues to develop through the story. Then there are so many new and interesting characters introduced throughout the story as well.

I really enjoyed learning more about the world outside in Fever. I thought that the setting in the mansion in Wither was creepy but the outside world may be even worse. The plot moves very quickly and I finished it in just one sitting. I loved that it was never what I expected and I was constantly being surprised by what would happen next. The ending especially left me breathless and extremely anxious for the next book. I have easily become a huge fan of DeStefano. Her writing flows beautifully as she creates this vivid world with interesting characters. I strongly recommend Fever, it is an exciting sequel that was even better than the high expectations I had already held!

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. Wasn't too sure about this one based on my distaste of the last book but I just might try it! Thanks for a great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhiannon! I hope you like this one better!

      Delete
  2. Sweet. I loved the last book and can't wait to read the next, especially after your five star review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! I hope you love it as much as Wither!

      Delete
  3. I really need to read Wither soon so that I can see what Fever is all about. There have been so many mixed reviews on Fever I'm not even sure what to think at this point.

    I'm glad you loved the story and you are making me want to dive right into this series.

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I guess this series isn't for everyone but I really love it. I am a huge dystopian fan and this is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  4. I didn't love Wither as much as you but I did enjoyed Fever quite a bit more. It was more fast pace and that's what I like! :D I agree the outside world is really creepy and kind of fascinating! Glad you enjoyed it Traci! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)