Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars
By: John Green
Released: January 10, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind." (Summary from goodreads.com)

John Green's The Fault In Our Stars is the story of Hazel who was been living with cancer for years. However, a miracle drug is helping stop the tumors from growing but it is not definite how long it will work. While attending a cancer support group, Hazel meets Augustus who changes her life.

I loved The Fault In Our Stars and I still feel speechless! It is a raw and beautiful story. I don't even know how to review this book because I don't think it is possible for me to give it the justice it deserves. The characters are beautifully written and strongly developed. Hazel has been battling cancer for years but she is now taking a miracle drug that has slowed the tumors in her lungs. However, it is unknown just how long this medicine will keep working. Hazel doesn't get close to many people. She would rather stay home where she can watch tv or read her favorite book.

While at a cancer support group, Hazel meets Augustus who is in remission. Eventually a unique relationship begins to develop between them. I absolutely loved the dialogue that Hazel and Augustus shared. It was witty and hilarious at times but, I also thought that it was unique just like them.

I don't think I have ever read a book before that has caused me to experience so many emotions so strongly. I laughed at times and then at other times I was a complete hysterical mess. I had to put this book down for a few days before I could finish it because I didn't think I could handle it all in one sitting. Even days after finishing The Fault In Our Stars, I still can't stop thinking about it. I admit this is the first book that I have read by John Green and I picked it up after hearing so many amazing things. I am so happy that I did I buy this book though and I definitely plan on reading more of books very soon. I strongly recommend The Fault In Our Stars, this is the one book that you don't want to miss!

My Review:

16 comments:

  1. A million times yes! John Green really thrust the readers into a tornado of emotions and it was glorious and it was heartbreaking and it was SO, SO much. I am so in love with this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was such an amazing book! Thanks Stephanie!

      Delete
  2. I normally don't read Contemporary books but I purchased this one and a blogger friend got me a signed copy. Yay!

    I can't wait to finally read this one because I've seen nothing but positive reviews, just like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I got a signed copy too and after finishing reading it I am so happy I have a signed copy now. Hope you love it too Mindy!

      Delete
  3. Completely agree. This book is honestly the best I've ever read. I was sobbing for the last 100 pages and then there were these weird moments where I was both laughing and sobbing and was just generally a mess.

    Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lexie! So happy to hear you loved it too! I totally understand what you mean about being an emotional mess. It was like 2am and I was hysterical crying through the last 100 pages and still laughing at some parts. It was not pretty!

      Delete
  4. I loved reading this book. I strongly recommend reading his other books soon. John Green creates unique and beautiful characters in each of his books and each of them left me thinking about it for days afterward. The humor intertwined in the emotional aspects in TFIOS has such a raw gorgeousness to it that I swear, you won't have a dry eye afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to buy some more of his books on my next trip to the bookstore. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I've had The Fault in Our Stars for about a month now and have put off reading it, partly because I've heard it is SO good. I like to savor the really good things and I don't want them to end... but I can't put this book off forever, especially when I read reviews like this! :-)

    Great review! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I definitely advise taking your time reading this book. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. OMG I've heard nothing but good about this book but I still haven't gotten a chance to pick it up! It sounds really emotional and the premise seems to be very depressing but gosh you totally make me want to read it. Great review!!!

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    Int. Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaskirat! It is an extremely emotional book but so amazing. I hope you enjoy it if you do read it!

      Delete
  7. I've heard so much about this book! I can't wait to read it. I love John Greens books! Great review!
    Tabitha @ Tabitha's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tabitha! I must go buy his other books soon. Hope you love The Fault In Our Stars when you read it!

      Delete
  8. Omg I've heard SUCH good things on this one I haven't even read any of John's books. I've had the Alaska one on my wishlist for like 2 years. I should give this one a go soon. Emotional books like these are the ones that stand out and stay memorable in the "read" list I find. Anyways. Wonderful review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giselle! I actually plan on reading Looking for Alaska really soon. I completely agree it seems that the books that make me the most emotional are always the most memorable.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I really do appreciate every single comment. :)