Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Balthazar by Claudia Gray

Balthazar
By: Claudia Gray
Released: March 6, 2012
Source: ARC from Aeicha(wordspelunking.blogspot.com)
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Haunted by memories from his first days as a vampire, Balthazar has spent hundreds of years alone—without allies, without love. When he emerges from his isolation to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, Balthazar has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Having learned of Skye’s powers and the remarkable effect her blood has on vampires, he plans to use her for his own evil purposes. As they stand together to fight the evil vampire, Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by Skye...just as Redgrave realizes that he can destroy Balthazar once and for all by taking her for his own." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Claudia Gray's Balthazar picks up shortly after Afterlife left off. However, this time its Balthazar's story. Balthazar is helping protect Skye who is a human who also attended Evernight Academy but she has special psychic powers. She needs protection because she is being watched by Redgrave, who is the vampire that turned Balthazar.

I am a huge fan of Claudia Gray's Evernight series and I loved Balthazar even more than the previous books in the series. When I first heard about this book I was so thrilled to finally get an entire book about Balthazar. Balthazar was one of my favorite characters ever since the first book in the series and I always wanted to know more about him. Gray definitely develops Balthazar even further then in the previous Evernight books. He has been a vampire for centuries and he is forced to face his past in this book while helping protect Skye. I especially enjoyed the multiple flashbacks to Balthazar's past.

Skye had an important role in the end of the previous book in the Evernight series, Afterlife so I was happy to learn more about her character. Skye made a great and interesting character who was strongly developed as well. I also loved the relationship between Balthazar and Skye and how natural it was. Balthazar always seemed to have the worst luck throughout the Evernight series and I always wanted him to find someone other than Bianca.

I really enjoyed having another book set in this world that Gray has created. Especially one that is now from another character's perspective. Lucas and Bianca do make an appearance though and I was happy to see them again. I felt that the plot flowed smoothly from beginning to end. I was completely captivated by the story from the first page and barely put it down until I finished it. There was quite a lot of action throughout the story but also many other sweet moments. I am huge fan of Gray and her writing just continues to improve with each new book. I know for sure that I will definitely be anxiously awaiting what she will write next. I strongly recommend Balthazar, it is an exciting and captivating story.

My Rating:

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the Evernight series as well and I'm really excited to read Balthazar. I always liked his character so I'm happy to see him get his own book. I'm also happy to hear Lucas and Bianca make an appearance. I can't wait until this one comes out.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! If you love the Evernight series then you will definitely love Balthazar!

      Delete
  2. I LOVED BALTHAZAR! (The character not the book haha!) I'm so excited to read this one, it looks so awesome!!! I'm so jealous that you have it!! HAha great review, I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah thanks Anna! You are going to love this if you love Balthazar! :)

      Delete
  3. I did like this look into his life because I enjoyed his character in the Evernight series. I guess I was just expecting a little more from him and so I ended up liking this book but I wasn't in love with it. I hope there is even more to his story though :)

    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa! I can totally understand what you mean. I really hope we get more of his story too though!

      Delete
  4. I really liked this one too! I ♥ Balthazar!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)