Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5
By: Kristen Simmons
Released: January 31, 2012
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned. The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes. There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back. Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different. Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow. That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings…the only boy Ember has ever loved." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Kristen Simmon's Article 5 is the story of Ember who lives with her mother in a country that now has Moral Statutes. If a citizen breaks one of the Moral Statutes they are punished with a trial and often times even worse. Ember and her mother manage to get by but then her mother is arrested for Article 5. Ember is taken away from her mother and the soldier arresting her is Chase. Chase is her old neighbor as well as the first boy she ever loved.
I loved Article 5 and I literally stayed up all night reading it. I am a huge fan of dystopian books and when I saw this in my local bookstore, I immediately picked it up. Article 5 is an exciting and interesting story with captivating characters. Ember is separated from her mother when her mother is arrested for violating Article 5. Ember is very close to her mother and would do just about anything for her. I really liked Ember but at times she was a frustrating character because of the choices she made. However, she learns and grows as a result of her actions. 

Chase is a soldier in the military but he once met much more to Ember. Chase was a complicated character but I completely fell in love with him as the story progressed. There were so many interesting characters introduced throughout the book. Some were characters that you grew to love while others were absolutely terrifying. I am really looking forward to learning more about many of the side characters in the next book.

Article 5 brought me on an emotional roller coaster. The plot is paced well and I was hooked after just a couple of pages. I loved the interesting yet horrifying setting. I especially enjoyed learning about the Moral Statutes and how the society was set up. I loved how the flashbacks, which were spread throughout the book, explained the past relationship between Ember and Chase. I felt like I was a bit of an anxious mess while reading this book because I would get so nervous about what would happen next to Ember. The last couple of chapters especially had me on the edge of my seat. I am dying for the next book because I still have quite a few questions and I can't wait to read what will happen next. I strongly recommend Article 5, it is a captivating dystopian story!

My Review:

4 comments:

  1. I've heard really good things about this one. I have it on my wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs Q I hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to read it!

      Delete
  2. Ooh so glad to see you loved this! It was a really intense ride for sure and I agree about Ember I was annoyed that she blamed herself for everything. But it was def. a great dystopian!! Great review Traci!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an intense ride to say the least. I'm glad to hear you liked it too! Thanks Giselle!

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)