Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Unearthly
By: Cynthia Hand
Released: January 4, 2011
Source: Purchased
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . . Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy. Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side. As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?" (Summary from goodreads.com)
 
Cynthia Hand's Unearthly is the story of Clara who is part angel. She begins to have visions about what her purpose will be on earth and it is of a forest fire and a mysterious boy. Her visions eventually lead her to move to a new town where she meets Christian, the boy from her visions.

Unearthly is a captivating story that I really enjoyed. I admit I didn't immediately like Clara at first. However, once she was developed more, she grew on me. Clara recently learns that she is part angel and in order to fulfil her purpose, she moves to a new town. Clara doesn't immediately fit in at her new school but she keeps trying. She develops and grows a great deal over the course of the book as well and I am definitely looking forward to the next book to read what will happen to her next.

Christian is the boy from Clara's visions of her purpose. I just didn't like Christian at all. I kept waiting for that moment when I would finally like him but it never happened. On the other hand though, I did completely fall in love with Tucker. He isn't very nice at first to Clara but he does have this sweet side to him. The relationship between Tucker and Clara was one of my favorite parts of this book. There plenty of other side characters that I also loved as well. Tucker is Wendy's twin brother and Wendy is one of the girls who Clara becomes fast friends with at school. I actually wish there was a bit more of Wendy in the book. Another character I loved was Angela who Clara also becomes friends with at school. Angela is different and a bit mysterious at first. 

I have been hearing so many great things about Unearthly for months and it definitely lived up to my expectations. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it but once the plot picked up, I finished the book in a few hours. I loved how the reader got flashes of Clara's purpose throughout the story because it was interesting to see how it would all come together. I really enjoyed the mythology of the angels and found it to be really fascinating. I was definitely shocked by the ending and did not see that coming. I will definitely be rushing out to buy the sequel Hallowed because not only do I need more Tucker but, I am curious to see what will happen next. I highly recommend Unearthly, it is a captivating and romantic story.

My Rating:

2 comments:

  1. i really liked Unearthly and can't wait to read Hallowed... great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this book. I have heard overall good things about it. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)