Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
By: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Released: December 6, 2011
Source: Purchased E-book
Purchase the Book: Amazon

"Starting over sucks. When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don’t kill him first, that is." (Summary from goodreads.com)

Jennifer L. Armentrout's Obsidian is the story of Katy who moves to a small town in West Virginia. Although Katy isn't thrilled about the move, she finds herself interested in her new neighbors, twins Daemon and Dee. Katy and Dee become instant friends while Daemon and Katy can't stand each other. However during an accident, Daemon saves Katy's life in a way that is not humanely possible. Katy discovers that her neighbors are actually aliens and Daemon marked Katy when he saved her. Now Katy must hope that the trace fades before Daemon and Dee's enemies find her.

I loved Obsidian and once again stayed up all night long reading another book by Armentrout. I loved everything about this book but I especially loved the characters. Armentrout has a knack for writing strongly developed characters that personally appeal to me. First off Katy is a book blogger which I thought was so awesome. She is also tough though and I love the way that she doesn't let Daemon or anyone else push her around. She grows through the story and becomes not just stronger but more confident.

I admit I am completely in love with Daemon now as well. He is cocky, arrogant, and pretty rude. However, he has these moments that just completely stole my heart. He will do absolutely anything to protect his sister which could be kind of intense at times, but also incredibly sweet. The chemistry and tension between Katy and Daemon is powerful from the very beginning. There are so many other characters I loved as well such as Dee, Lesa, and Carissa. I especially loved the friendship that developed between Katy and Dee.

Obsidian had me laughing out loud at moments especially during the banter between Daemon and Katy. The thrilling plot is paced well and filled with action. I am not a huge fan of alien stories but I genuinely enjoyed learning about the history of the aliens in this story. Although the book doesn't leave off on much of a cliffhanger, I am dying for the next book in this series. I desperately need more of these characters, especially Daemon. I strongly recommend Obsidian, it is a fun and action packed story that you will find hard to put down.

My Rating:

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely terrified of aliens...but if they all looked as gorgeous as the guy on the cover I think I could overcome my fear quite quickly! Looking forward to reading this book for myself! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her books (I know, I suck) but I'm definitely looking forward to reading them all! Great review!

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got done reading Pure by her and it was amazing. I have only read the Half-Blood series by her but I'm vastly impressed with her writing and the characters that she creates. I would strongly recommend trying her other books. :)

    Thanks for the great review, I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie - Thanks, I was totally terrified of aliens too. Nothing freaked me out more but I got over that last year when I made myself read I Am Number Four. You should definitely check out Obsidian though this alien is hot!

    Anna - Thanks, you should go read Half-Blood series and Obsidian soon! I loved Half-Blood but I think I loved Obsidian more.

    Alexa - I am so jealous you read Pure! I loved Half-Blood and loved it. I totally agree Armentrout writes amazing characters. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! :)